maandag 6 juni 2011

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - 'Still Life' by The Horrors

Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.

Track: ‘Still Life’ by The Horrors (listen here)
Average Grade: 5

Ilse: Seems like the Horrors continue on the trail of their last album 'Primary Colours', for which they exchanged their haunting organs and horror punk for dark, 80s influenced synth wave. However, this track seems to have a sense of lightness to it: it's not as, relatively speaking, harsh as some of the tracks on that last album. Perhaps this is nudging a bit more towards 80s pop than towards post-punk/new wave, especially in comparison to a track like 'Sea Within A Sea', which also features a clearer distinction between individual instruments opposed to this new one, where the instruments are more 'blended together' into a more shallow sound. I think I slightly prefer the style of the darker before-mentioned song, but I'm also quite digging this more mellow side to the post-Strange House Horrors. Curious to see what else the new album might bring!
7.8

Craig: This over-saturation of 80s resurgence is beginning to get redundant. I welcome the inevitable backlash.
2/10

Linda: If I would listen to this song I would have to pause Pulp, whom I've have been playing constantly this week since I've seen them Friday last week. Yes, you've read that correctly: I'VE SEEN PULP! I can answer 'Do you remember the last time' affirmative. As I really can't stop listening to them (or their Spotified Primavera set list), I'll have to give the Horrors my favourite (virtual) number:
√-1 (try and enter that one on your calculator :D)

Anna: So The Horrors started out with the so-called horror punk, moved on to shoegaze and now they are apparently doing 80s new wave. As it usually happens with inconsistent jack of all trades, you get OK music, but nothing that will leave a mark. The frontman's Cat's Eyes side-project is quite good though, if that helps with anything.
Grade: 5 (I'll make it a 4 if the next album is stoner rock)

Stef: I think it is an okay song, the thing is, I have no idea why this song is so long. Because it doesn’t really go anywhere and instead starts to repeat itself. And if you aren’t going to go anywhere then it doesn’t need to be that long.
5/10

Geen opmerkingen: