vrijdag 23 december 2011

Our Top 50 Favorite Tracks Countdown - 30 - 26

Yessir, it has started, the countdown of the 50 best tracks of 2011! Everyday I’ll post one track in the Daily Clip section, but if you missed one don’t worry, after each batch of five I’ll be sure to post those songs with links on the site (you’ll find it in the main post). So for the next 50 days, nothing but the best, here we go!
Nr. 30 - ‘Spaced’ by Pete Herbert
Herbert released a few EPs this year, and this tune with a BPM through the roof (unfortunately, because it makes it harder to get in the mix), is just magical. The piano gets you in the right mood from the get go, and after teasing you a bit he shifts the gear into full throttle mode just before the minute mark to get you happy and excited. or well, me at least. The beat and drums propel the song forward at a steady pace, but the real strength lies in those sounds on top of that canvas, with the keys. Especially the keys. No, strike that, just everything. I listened to this non-stop in the summer, and every time I’ve heard it since has reminded me of why I listened to this non-stop in the summer. So catchy, the elements work together so nicely, and it is just a cracking tune. And at the end even some vocals come in, then you’ve really got me hooked. So be a star chaser baby. No link unfortunately, I’m very sorry, but you’re clever people, right?
Certainly, most things get better when they add Antony Hegarty of Antony and the Johnsons fame. MEN put out this little punky tune and made an alternate version with Hegarty’s awesome vocals who fit this song very well indeed. That bass is a bit too familiar at times I reckon (An LCD Soundsystem song I’m thining?), but the guitar gives it some edge which is nicely balanced out by the vocals. 
This was released on a Friends of the Family EP with a Jacques Renault tune on it, and that’s a telltale sign that it’s something up my alley and something worth listening to. This song just had me by the balls from the very moment those vocals came in with just a “Oh no”. So deep, so filled with melancholy; I was hooked from that point straight up until the finish. The music creates a perfect canvas for it, in itself being deep enough to not let those vocals stick out like a sore thumb. With the beat, the hi-hats, and the keys it creates something for in the wee hours of the night, when the darkness has fully hit and when the crowd is ready to surrender itself to the sounds completely. Those “vocals” only really become vocals at around the four minute mark, where they actually start singing. Just a nice, deep song with an atmosphere that puts it over the top. Ace.
This has is just so cheeky, I love it. So sexy. The groaning woman might be a sign of that, though in old school house songs that have too much of that aren’t exactly my favorites. But it is kept to a minimum here and it soon gets replaced by the bass (bass!). Then male vocals come in that say “If you can’t make it, I’ll have to masturbate” , with female vocals finishing the double entendre of “Baby, there’s some coming (…), in a hurry”. Normally I hate overtly explicit stuff like that, makes me want to slap my head. But the thing is, this is a TUNE! And all is forgiven then. It’s got the build-ups, it has the catchy chorus, it has this sexiness outside of those overtly explicit tales, it has a thumping beat, a nice bass: it’s just got everything for the dancefloor. The change-ups in the song are nuanced but excellent and it really makes sure this track keeps going on and on.
You know, I believe I tweeted once that I liked this one perhaps more than I should. There is just something so catchy to this that just makes me happy when hearing it. It’s got this energy to it, and it has this nice and poppy vibe to it which just wins me over. It is fun, it has got some pace to it, and it is catchy and makes me smile. Just a cracking little tune from the Swedish duo (whom I interviewed years ago, if anyone wants to hit the interview archive for that one).

Geen opmerkingen: