dinsdag 14 februari 2012

Weekly Froth #26 (including Joakim, Jacques Renault, and more!)

The Weekly Froth! A weekly take on six tracks, most of which have recently popped up somewhere in the blogosphere. Bit of a mixed bag with a slight leaning towards house, disco, and remixes, but generally just anything that for some reason tickled the writer’s fancy.
Track of the week: ‘Paradisco’ by Charlotte Gainsbourg (Joakim remix)
I loved (LOVED) that Joakim album last year – a proud addition to my vinyl collection, really like the aesthetic he works with. I seem to remember I actually liked Charlotte Gainsbourg’s ‘Paradisco’, and I know for sure that I, prior to listening, wasn’t at all certain how a Joakim version of this song would sound. But it sounds brilliant, actually, to be fair. Joakim put a needle and just injected this song with atmosphere whilst keeping a beat in there. I get the real urge to disconnectedly vogue on this. Eyes staring blankly into space whilst striking a pose, a pose, a pose, and another one. This is one of those things where I went Huh, really? when I saw it on paper and which just makes sense when listening to it. Awesomeness by Joakim, turning this Gainsbourg song into something completely different, putting it in its own aesthetic, and making it work.
(To listen to this track and to read write-ups and listen to five others, click here)

Geen opmerkingen: