maandag 11 april 2011

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - Our Favourite LCD Soundsystem Tracks!

Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.

This week, as a token of appreciation for the band LCD Soundsystem who called it quits not too long ago, we asked our contributors for their favourite LCD track, if they had any! See the results below!

Ilse: It was a tough choice, but I ultimately decided to go with 'Losing My Edge'. Musically, I love how the sound keeps on building up, how it's structured and its great energetic beat(s). Of course the song's ultimate strength is in its lyrics and autobiographical content, as James Murphy satirizing his feelings from back when he was a DJ: the fear of 'not being cool anymore'. As the music world is ever evolving, and musos get older seeing themselves losing their 'coolness' to younger generations, the feelings (and the somewhat ridiculous nature of those feelings) this song represents has a timeless quality to it. I also think it's great that the track goes two ways, balancing between feeling superior and feeling afraid: the fear of the 'kids coming up from behind', but also the respect our 'narrator' shows for these 'better looking people with better ideas and more talent'. ('And they're actually really, really nice.') So apart, from that it's a great track to dance to, it's also great to listen to James Murphy's name- and placedropping, and take this song in as if it were a story. Whether or not LCD Soundsystem is ever going to tour or produce albums again; at least I'm proud I can say of this band/musical era: I was there, I was there.

Anna: My favourite LCS Soundsystem song is Franz Ferdinand's cover of All My Friends - so you can say that I never had any attachment to them. Never really got the appeal; their beats and melodies don't hold my attention and Murphy's enunciation is definitely not my ears' favourite thing. On the plus side, their lyrics can be witty.

I understand why their fans are distressed right now, I would be as well in a similar situation. Turn that frown upside down, there shall be a reunion.

Craig: This is an embarrassing predicament indeed:

The only thing I've ever heard by LCD Soundsystem is some 20-minute Nike exercise mix (link is to a sample -ed) they recorded. It was 'high-energy,' I guess.

I'm going to check out the footage of their last show now...

Linda: Someone Great
I don't know why, but this track - a bit of a odd one out for LCD Sounsystem - has always been my favourite of them (and one of the few instances on which I actually completely agree with Pitchfork). Luckily, I've never suffered a loss like the one in the song, but it still manages to get to me, which is weird in a way as songs that you can relate to should have more of an impact. But then again, maybe it is the sheer quality of James Murphy and friends that make this track so good.

Stef: Well, this column shows the popularity of LCD Soundsystem. Not as big as they thought they were, however I still am of the opinion they have a cultural significance, whether it is as bearer or voyeur or in another capacity. My favourite track (though admittedly this is subject to change) has got to be ‘Tribulations’. I perhaps even first heard it as the Lindstrom remix, but since then I’ve grown to love the original as well. I just love the line: “Everybody makes mistakes / but it seems that it are always mine that just keep on stinging”. That in addition to the ridiculous dance potential make this my favourite track of this band who daringly called it quits a few weeks ago.

2 opmerkingen:

Linda zei

Judging by this post on Pitchfork, I'm guessing the FF-LCD love is mutual: http://pitchfork.com/news/42173-listen-lcd-soundsystem-cover-franz-ferdinand/

Stef zei

Let me just say that, on first listen, I like the FF cover of LCD better than the LCD cover of FF. XD It is just suddenly so slow burning, maybe I just need to get used to that a bit. Thanks for the link!