maandag 18 april 2011

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - 'What About Us' by Handsome Furs

Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.


Track: ‘What About Us’ by Handsome Furs (listen here)
Average grade: 6.4

Ilse: I adore Wolf Parade and related projects and have very much enjoyed Dan Boeckner and wifey's albums so far. This new track features some dark synth sounds, making you feel you're in some sinister, shady disco (possibly in Eastern Europe, as that is apparently the inspiration for the new album). The odd thing about it though is that the song takes a turn after about 3 minutes, and it almost seems as if you're listening to two different tracks in one, or that it's at least divided into two separate parts. Not necessarily a bad thing, I'm just wondering why they didn't break it down into different songs then? However, as it's not utterly and immensely distracting, I'm starting to anticipate the album carefully jubilantly, and I hope it will be better than Wolf Parade's last album, which I can't remember playing after that first (and only) time.
7.3

Anna: I find the musical part of the song to be tedious, a lazy sounding beatscape, but I do love his voice, full of angst and passion. He is undoubtedly much better with guitars than he is with keyboards, so take note, mister.
5/10

Linda: It's a good thing their live comedy road show (which does include a lot of music and very flexible and unexpected dance moves) is as brilliant as it is, 'cause when it comes to music Dan Boeckner seems to need Spencer Krug's input to create a great song. Seriously, go see them - I believe they're touring Europe next month.
5.2/10

Craig: Hard-hitting 80s industrial beats have been appealing to me more and more lately. It's quite dramatic and has a seriousness to it that makes you question why you're dancing so emphatically. I feel like I'm celebrating a break-up or something.
6.8/10

Stef: I like the simplicity and the insistency of the beat and the urgency of the vocals of Boeckner. That seems to work well together. The second part it mellows out a bit. I do like Boeckner’s voice though, and like Linda said, catch them live, it is well worth the few pounds you have to part with me thinks.
7.5/10

Geen opmerkingen: