maandag 23 januari 2012

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - 'Hidden Things Are Asking You To Find Them' by Wymond Miles

Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.
Track: ‘Hidden Things Are Asking You To Find Them’ by Wymond Miles (click here)
Average grade: 5 out of 10 OR 4 out of 10
Craig: I can definitely see how many people will like this song, but I'm afraid it's not quite aligned with my aesthetics.  While its production is very high-quality and the instrumentation is interesting in its melodramatic rises and falls, this song is lacking in energy.  Specifically during the verses, the singer's melody is so slow and repetitive that it almost rocks me to sleep instead of inviting me to pay attention to the lyrics.
4/10
Anna: I like the music, I do. Eerie and effective, it works quite well for my brand new 2012 ears, although it feels that he makes way too many "pauses" in the song. HOWEVER:
These songs concisely yet esoterically document the existential crisis of our current epoch—moving from the nothingness of modern materialism, fragmented reductionist thought, and drug escapism to a world imbued with subjectivity and meaning through a new relationship with the Earth and cosmos as alive and full of inherent intelligence.
(with apologies to Stef for having to translate this)
If he wrote this, his grade is 1, as this pseudo-philosophical twatery is making want to cry.
If he allowed his label to write this and publish it, his grade is 5. He should have vetoed it.
I know this column is about music, but ears and brain are connected. Sometimes.
Linda: Hmm, I was expecting something completely different after I saw this track was released on Sacred Bones, the record label that is also home to Zola Jesus, and the somewhat ethereal blurb that accompanies the track (it uses the word 'epoch'). Apart from the accompanying text, the track offers little originality, but hey, maybe that's because I can't the decipher the eschatologist lyrics. 
5/10
Stef: I kind of like this actually. I think it’s got a certain atmosphere to it. Truth be told though, I liked the instrumental start better than the parts with the vocals, though I did like his delivery of “realize”. At one point, it gets a bit, I don’t know, bit too much, too generic?
6/10

Geen opmerkingen: