zaterdag 23 januari 2010

Nieuwe tracks uit de week van 14 t/m 20 jan

Our weekly look into the blogosphere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period.

Track of the week!
'Active Child' – Wilderness
I actually like this very much, this new song by LA’s Active Child. Instrumentally it is a sort of trippy ambient atmosphere, and over that just the most lovely angelic voices. And I just think that is a very nice combination, that juxtaposition of the sometimes more menacing, sometimes more sad instrumentals and those voices almost offering some sort of consolation or forgiveness even. I don’t want to make it sound like it should be played in church, but I think it is rather evocative. Rather cinematic as well. I know at least I will be trying to find a bit more tracks by this artist.
http://hypem.com/track/1020238/Active+Child-Wilderness


‘Home’ - Edward Sharp & the Magnetic Zero’s (Fromage Disco Edit)
To be honest, I don’t know much about Edward Sharp & The Magnetic Zero’s, except coming across them during Jarvis’ excellent Radio 6 show, so if I’m stating plainly obvious things or things that are blatantly wrong regarding the whole oeuvre, I do apologize. It kind of reminds me of the Blues Brothers this one, when they have to play in that country shack. It has a bit of that country rolling vibe, the female vocals are actually quite nice, and the whistling is kind of addictive. You can bob your head to this. With that said I cannot imagine me actually listening to this if it wouldn’t be on the radio. I guess it is fair enough, and when this Fromage Disco edit is on you won’t hear me complaining, but heavy rotation material it won’t be for me. Perhaps if you like the country vibe a bit better than I do it will get your constant attention though. That spoken word bit is a tad ridiculous though, as is the only-vocals bit near the ending.
http://hypem.com/track/1010652/Edward+Sharp+The+Magnetic+Zeros+-+Home+Fromage+Disco+edit+

‘Theres Space For Ol Dat I See’ – MIA
I cannot believe that I would be the only one who would find this boring. It is slow paced and nothing really happens as far as I am concerned. Sure, there is a bit of those spacey sounds going on, but perhaps unfortunately for my appreciation of this track I’m currently trying to piece together a space disco/whatever you want to call it mixtape, and I have heard some great, splendid tracks in the past weeks who do something with a spacey approach and distorted vocals. To me this just bobs along at one pace, and call me old fashioned, but I like it when something actually happens.
http://hypem.com/track/1013459/M+I+A++-+Theres+Space+For+Ol+Dat+I+See

‘I Feel Better’ – Hot Chip
A regular reader of this column will know that I have something against vocals without an edge to them, that is, without a bit of grit. If it is too smooth, too flat, then that is a real deal breaker for me. So you can understand that Hot Chip is not my favourite band. I do like them when they make the voice part of the instrumental lines, that is, when the voice isn’t on the foreground, but instead merges with the instrumentals. This song doesn’t really start well in terms of that, but after two minutes a delightfully catchy beat comes in, and that will have me dancing regardless of the vocals. So if this one comes on the dance floor and it gets that first part behind it then I’ll have a good time. If you are not much bothered by the vocals (and it really is just personal taste, innit?) you might appreciate this catchy track even more.
http://hypem.com/track/1017231/Hot+Chip+-+I+Feel+Better

'U Can Dance' - Hell feat. Bryan Ferry
Bryan Ferry, that feels like ages really, doesn’t it? And this track apparently as well, seeing when it was first blogged. But at least I believe the clip is relatively new, right? It was to me at least. It is a rather sad image this is, as Ferry seems to have to box up to the beat. Some words are barely audible because the beat just goes right through them. It gets better though, as soon the voice isn’t interrupted by the beat anymore, or vice versa, and it gets a bit party hardy really. I know the Bryan Ferry name sounds lovely, and that theatrical movement thingy he did with Roxy Music has put him in music history really, but perhaps the best parts of this song are the ones without him.
http://hypem.com/track/944700/DJ+Hell+Featuring+Bryan+Ferry+-+U+Can+Dance

'Hollywood' - Marina and the Diamonds (The Juan MacLean remix)
I’m torn when reading this because I love The Juan MacLean, and I don’t love Marina and the Diamonds nearly as much. So it could go either way really. Unfortunately I’m not really taken with this remix. It’s a quite straightforward club mix, or at least it comes across as such to me. The repetitive vocal utterances of the word “if” is not really my thing, and I’m not a great fan of her voice in this one either. Not much else to say really, except that I’m looking forward to the next The Juan MacLean song as always.
http://hypem.com/track/1015583/Marina+the+Diamonds+-+Hollywood+Juan+MacLean+Remix+

Geen opmerkingen: