zondag 17 januari 2010

Nieuwe tracks uit de week van 6 t/m 13 jan

Our weekly look into the blogosphere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period.

Track of the week:
‘Forever in their debt’ van The Revenge (original mix)
He is sort of a big thing in house circles, isn’t he? To be honest, I’m not gloriously familiar with his output, but I did like that ‘Leave Your Mind’ single that came out not too long ago. This song is driven by a deep house beat with occasionally a deep voice mentioning something or another concerning Chicago, which makes sense since Chicago does not only have blues roots I believe. It is nine minutes long, and on the surface there is not too much that goes on except the basic sound. But it seems that minor alterations are constantly made to that basis in speed, volume, and occasionally even in extra sounds. At 5:30 or so the sound changes to just the beat, and you know a build-up is going to come, and indeed it does. Multiple instruments get added slowly, though do not expect a real huge climax or anything. If you like a bit of that Chicago house sound than I do recommend it, because I in any case could see myself dancing to it.
http://hypem.com/track/1005457/The+Revenge+-+Forever+In+Their+Debt+Original+Mix+


‘Love Harder’ van Ali Love (Tronik Youth remix)
He is starting to become a recurrent name in the blogosphere, isn’t he? In any case the part I regularly dive into. This is a remix by Tronik Youth, and I must say that I like what he has done with the song because I can remember finding the original a bit on the soft and pop side, but this is quite fun actually. Still a bit pop, but the vocals do not seem as soft as in Ali Love’s original track and you can do a bit of hip wiggling to this. It is not wildly catching or anything like that, and one minute out of the middle wouldn’t have hurt it, but it is danceable and you can sing along to it as extravagant and gay as you please, and a bit of fun on the dance floor is always welcome, ey?
http://hypem.com/track/1008655/Ali+Love+-+Love+Harder+tronik+youth+got+the+love+mix+fix+

‘Kungen’ van Love Is All
So who is going to state the obvious and say that the start with the pa-pa-da-pa-pa thingy is a bit, well, corny? And it returns! Oh goody. It actually is a bit of the motif of this song, along with female vocals which feel like really slight. The yelping and the pa-pa-da-pa-pa lines also make the song feel as a bit of a kid fest. I remember seeing them live once and I remember actually enjoying a bit of it, but perhaps they did not play this song.
http://hypem.com/track/1011574/Love+Is+All+-+Kungen


One Life Stand – Hot Chip (Carl Craig remix)
I like how the more techno sounds of Carl Craig are mixed with poppier elements, undoubtedly re-imaginings of the Hot Chip track. And I guess that was Carl Craig’s idea when doing this, as he is a renowned techno musician, and Hot Chip makes pop-electro, or in any case electronical music with decidedly poppy elements. At around the four minute marker this guitar comes in which I do like in combination with the techno beat, and perhaps it could’ve come a bit sooner, because the track is a whopping ten minutes, and after the four minute mark it really starts going to work with more Hot Chip elements finding their way into the song. One of my pet peeves concerning the band Hot Chip is I personally can’t stand that voice, but I can bear it in songs like ‘Over and Over’ and stuff as then it is not really about the singing but it is just another part of the song. Unfortunately for me, in this remix Carl Craig takes down almost all the techno elements, and the faint throbbing techno beat in the background is the only thing accompanying the voice for about a good minute or so. If you do like the voice this might be a welcome break for you in a 10 minute elephantine track, but I could have lived without.
http://hypem.com/track/1011828/Hot+Chip+-+One+Life+Stand+Carl+Craig+PCP+Remix+

‘Icarus’ – White Hinterland
Deep drums and atmospheric sounds I thought would be the prelude to a very dark track, and with such a title one could easily imagine something to that effect. But then the fragile female vocals come and background singers who go oe-hoe-hoe, so there goes that really. I’m personally more a fan of the darker sides of life, but I can imagine that for some people this admittedly dreamy and atmospheric track might be a treat. Something for snowy days while gazing out of the window, so to that effect it was released at a proper time I suppose. Personally I’m not that into oe-hoe-oe’s and fragile female voices, but I can see how someone would find this soothing or would be able to dream away to it.
http://hypem.com/track/1014275/White+Hinterland+-+Icarus

‘Will You Be There’ – Mimo
Gosh, you know, I like that VEGA mix of ‘Running Out’, another track of Mimo, and I actually think that style might suit his voice better, that kind of softer beat. Here it seems as if he is bidding against the beat, which is quite present. I think if, like VEGA did with his track, the accompanying instrumentals would be a bit more old school disco I would like this track more. This sounds actually a bit more like a remix than that VEGA’s track did, and I don’t want to go on about Palomo’s remix of a different Mimo track, but to me this track’s beat is too present and is fighting the rest of the song, which can be remedied by taking a similar approach as that of Palomo’s. It’s a decent track though. Sorry about linking this one through to MySpace.
http://www.myspace.com/mimononstop

Geen opmerkingen: