maandag 31 januari 2011

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - 'This City' by Patrick Wolf

Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.

Track: ‘This City’ by Patrick Wolf (listen here)
Average grade: 7.6

Ed. Note: I added a hypem link for the panel that apparently was a live take on it, so hence the comments. Sorry guys! I had listened to the clip, and just looked whether or not there was a hypem link without checking the actual link assuming it was a studio take!

Anna: Patrick Wolf is happy and this album is going to be happy and strangely enough, the happiness is contagious. He is as capable of crafting beautiful songs out of shiny moments as he is out of darker ones. The tune is so uplifting that it makes me feel spring is here and I'm not even being ironic. Now excuse me while I assume the magic position.
8/10

Craig: Though I've never seen him live, Patrick Wolf's show seems super engaging. His upbeat charm is both easy to identify with and infectious--really goes along with the New Sincerity that's been blooming in the art world in general. "Fuck the recession?!?" Oh yes, Patrick Wolf! I love this guy's style.
8/10

Linda: Er... live recording... yeah... I kinda ignored that link and just went with the video got posted on the Guardian website earlier this week (which is superior solely for its English man in Americanism - English white boy devoid of sunshine / the lyrics "top of the morning" / me mistaking Santa Monica beach for a sort of Brighton/Blackpool conglomerate). I like the track though - it's back to the upbeat sing-a-long which does suit Wolf better than the short adventure into the realms of electro he had with 'Vulture'. It's not up there with 'The Magic Position' just yet, but it's certainly enjoyable.
7.9/10

Stef: Corny pop this is. No edginess here at all. But you know, the thing is, it is rather uplifting, it is rather fun, and you know, nothing wrong with corny pop if it is fun, is there?
6.5/10

Geen opmerkingen: