maandag 25 juli 2011

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - 'How Deep is Your Love' by The Rapture

Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.

Track: ‘How Deep is Your Love?’ by The Rapture (listen here)
Average grade: 6.9

Anna: I'm indifferent. I am aware that this is not exactly a constructive or helpful review, but I don't really know what to say, except that summer clubs would totally put this on heavy rotation and that his voice doesn't sound as annoying as it usually does.
Grade: 4

Ilse: Not too enthusiastic about the piano, particularly because it reminds me of Robbie Williams' 'Feel' at the beginning. Another song that pops to mind Sisqo's 'Thong Song', whose 'Let me see that thong' echo the Rapture's 'Let me hear that song' here. Somehow it feels it's impossible that this a coincidence, as the reference is almost too obvious to not be deliberate.... After about 4 minutes, the gospel influences are evident and it somehow feels less dancey than their older work. So all in all it's a rather odd mix, especially the whole Sisqo thing left me baffled. Yet there's quite a bit of potential in this track, though there are also elements that put me off and ruin it for me, like the saxophone and I feel it could also be atleast 2 minutes shorter.
6.3

Craig: The Rapture are back, and I for one am pretty happy about that. This track is much less electro than I expected, and less shrieky, but the energy is still amped up enough to keep the crowds dancing. I think I like this 'new' Rapture.
8/10

Linda: The Bee Gees. Everyone is thinking it, admit it, so I'll just come out and say it so we can get on with the more important stuff which is this far superior track by the same name. The Rapture is already responsible for one of my favourite moments this year, when one of the editors of Nature (you know, that big science journal that is not Science) made a pun about the band when everyone was referring to The End of The World-type of Rapture - repeating it would kill it - simultaneously making Nature my favourite journal for their superior taste in music (now only to get published by them...). With regards to the song: welcome back the Rapture and I WANT MORE!
9/10

Stef: I love the start of this, with the clearity of it all, and then when he changes up the vocals just a tad. Nice. I certainly hope that the dodgy stream is making the low notes buzz so much though. Ilse’s comments did ruin the “let me hear that song” though. I’m getting optimistic though.
7/10

Geen opmerkingen: