maandag 5 september 2011

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - 'Bedroom Eyes' by Dum Dum Girls



Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.

Track of the week: ‘Bedroom Eyes’ by Dum Dum Girls (listen here)
Average grade: 4.7

Anna: I don't particularly care for Dum Dum Girls - they look like a caricature and they sound like a tribute band. This song is quite monotonous and generic - but I like it. It's one if those songs that just gets stuck in your head and there's fuck all you can do about it, even though you fully acknowledge its total lack of musical merit.
Grade: 6

Craig: Well, this is pop music, pure and simple.  I find it simultaneously understated and formulaic which some people love, but I find waters it down.  Does anyone else hear a slight country twang, or is it just me?
4/10

Ilse: A bit more poppy and less fuzzy than their older work. At first it's a rather enjoyable track, though as the seconds pass the repetitivity starts to get on my nerves: OK WE GET IT YOU NEED HIS/HER BEDROOM EYES. To me this track shows the downside of the whole 'keeping it simple' approach combined with lyrics of angsty teen love: it doesn't always work. Girls, leave this stuff to Best Coast, she's better at it.
5.4

Linda: Is it me or are all Dum Dum Girls songs starting to sound exactly the same? I get that it's lo-fi and that you're not supposed to be able to make out too much of the actual melody, but this is just pushing it too far. Also, lyrics beyond repeating two non-sentences would be a plus.
2/10

Stef: When I saw them play live a long while ago (over a year I think) I liked their spunk and attitude on the stage. Not sure I see any of that in this song. Naturally, it is called ‘Bedroom Eyes’, so it was always going to sway a bit to the dreamy side. I just hope the album doesn’t entirely. And this as a single song doesn’t give a good idea of their qualities I think.
6/10

Geen opmerkingen: