maandag 21 maart 2011

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - 'Belong' by The Pains of Being Pure at Heart

Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.

Track: ‘Belong’ by The Pains of Being Pure at Heart (listen here)
Average grade: 5.6

Ilse: After seeing the Pains live in 2009 I sort off lost track of them, as you sometimes do with certain bands. Then I was pleasantly surprised by this new single, which I've put on repeat over and over ever since the first listen. Despite not having given the album full listening attention yet, I already noticed their sound is a tad different from before, interesting to see them widening their horizon, even if it's just a bit. Also this particular track stands out way above the rest; so all in all, this outsider anthem with a teenage feel is definitely one of the greatest things I've heard so far this year.
8.2/10

Anna: I have to confess I never really cared about this band; they make pleasant enough music, but I consider them to be forgettable. This new tune seems to have more of a strong core than their usual offerings (tweecore! hahahah - oh well, at least I entertain myself), but its 90s essence is quite familiar. There's nothing wrong with that as such, however, it's been done it much better (for instance by Smashing Pumpkins back in the day and Silversun Pickups in their last album). To me this tune is a bit more memorable than their previous stuff and I do enjoy the guitar riff around which it revolves, but I wouldn't go any further than that.
5/10

Craig: I don't have any opinion on this song and that is setting off the "average" alarm in my head. Sounds like clothing store music.
5/10

Linda: I've never gotten what people find so great about the Pains. To me, they're a bit like cricket: some absolutely love it, while I don't get what the hell is going on (except when you would happen to be referring to Krikkit - the planet made out of the remains of the supercomputer Hactar and whose inhabitants sole goal in life is to destroy the rest of the universe in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which is of course absolutely rational and not to be confused with cricket the ball-game).
4/10

Stef:
This actually sounds better than I had expected, not sure if that gives away more about my previous opinion of this band or the quality of this song, but there you have it.
6/10

Geen opmerkingen: