zondag 6 maart 2011

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - 'A Hundred Highways' by Dirty Beaches

Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.

Track: ‘A Hundred Highways’ by Dirty Beaches (listen here)
Average Grade: 6.8

Craig: Oh, the reverb! This sounds like it was found on the side of the road, and put into an 8-track player dirt & all. How is it that old 50s pop sound fits with howling guitar noise so well? I love how bands are able to mash them together. Still, I think the bass line is so close to Little Peggy March's 'I Will Follow Him' that it's a bit distracting.
7.5/10

Anna: Take the rockabilly essence, pass it through a filter of lo-fi, add a beautiful esoteric voice, sprinkle with distortion and this tune what you get. It sounds so good that I hunted down more of his songs and I wasn't disappointed. I'll be waiting for the album on my toes, like an intoxicated ballerina with a vague sense of purpose.
8/10

Linda: I don't know about this one. It sounds like it was recorded on a Fisher Price tape recorder that was previously owned by a particularly vindictive 3-year old. And that's really all I can say about it.
5/10

Stef: Again, I’m with the person identifying the “influence”, but again I don’t mind that much. I love the husky voice, though I also agree that a little less noise would get me even more excited. Especially the midway part sure isn’t the easiest listen, though I do like the sort of “screamy” sounds you can find in there.
6.5/10

1 opmerking:

Stef zei

Craig of this column did a very nice interview for New York Press with this guy recently, so be sure to check that out at:

http://www.nypress.com/blog-8398-catching-up-with-dirty-beaches.html

It is a really good read, so check that link y'all!