maandag 28 maart 2011

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - 'You Know What I Mean' by Cults

Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.

Track: ‘You Know What I Mean’ by Cults (listen here)
Average grade: 4.8

 Ilse: At first I thought this was Cults as in the noise band from North-Carolina; but once I pressed play, it didn't take long to figure out we are talking about an utterly and entirely different band here. No, this Cults sounds like a more sugarcoated, less-effective version of Best Coast: it's similar in the sense of simplicity, though it lacks the atmosphere Bethany Cosentino manages to create. I find the little fingersnaps and the energetic chorus enjoyable, yet the vocals make me cringe in the way I feel when I hear a teenage Disney star.... I also checked some of their other songs, also to be sure about the whole Cults-confusion, and I have to say this sounds incredibly overproduced compared to what I listened to. So yeah it's not entire nay, but definitely not a yay either.
6.0/10

Linda: Here's another band that can go straight into the cricket (or better known as "what the hell are you going about/can't you do that somewhere else?") category for me. I suggest ignoring this track and enjoying the sunshine.
3/10 (sunshine: 9/10)

Anna: The only difference between this fuzzy indie pop tune and a tune from Tennis/The Like/first Pipettes album/etc., is that this one doesn't really have any impact/"soul"/musical merit/etc. I can already see them evaporating.
3/10

Stef: Not too shabby a mix between old school Motown and then suddenly a bit more fuzziness and rock comes up now and again. The running time is nice an short, and any band using cover art inspired by Robert Longo’s Men in the Cities series gets a plus from me.
7/10

Geen opmerkingen: