donderdag 24 maart 2011

The National’s track for film Win Win hits the internet

The National really are a busy bunch, especially here in Holland. After being a big part of the four day touring circus called Cross-Linx (see the review section for a report on that) they are going to return this summer for an all acoustic set outdoors, a regular gig, and a rendition of The Long Count, a project by the Dessner brothers. However, regardless of their busy schedule they luckily did manage to find some time to record a track for the new Thomas McCarthy film Win Win. You can listen to the track everywhere already, and the trailer of the film has also been up for quite some time. McCarthy also directed the very good The Visitor with a spot on performance by Richard Jenkins, and the critically acclaimed The Station Agent. He also has a writing credit for the Pixar film Up, so secretly he might just be the hottest guy in movie business at the moment!

So the track is called ‘Think You Can Wait’, but I mean, we live in an age of instant gratification, right? Who wants to wait? If I see something, I just buy it or do it, no? Because otherwise, since there is an overload of music, games, shows, people whatever nowadays, if you don’t do it right away and think, You know what, I’ll wait, I’ll let the anticipation do its work, then before you know it, whammo, you see something else and want that. Or some new and improved version already came out. So no, I don’t think I can wait, because otherwise I’m not going to enjoy it at all, am I? So we do it now, we do it fast, it burns out quickly, and we’re on to the next thing. I don’t want to labour away for something, there’s always a quick fix, a quick way to satisfy whatever. A short cut, a quicker way. Why make a book report? If the gratification is in the book report being handed in I can’t wait for it to be made, it has to be now. And reading the book takes too long! If I need to write an essay in French, I just ask someone to do it for me instead of learning French and pay him in whatever. If I need to hit a good ball that is on my backhand side, I’m going to walk around it to my forehand, I’m not going to miss and then swing and miss and then swing and miss until I develop a backhand, nonsense! Why develop something, why be good at something, be able to do something, if the gratification is in the result anyway. Which I want now, otherwise sod it, I’ll find something else to do.

Geen opmerkingen: