maandag 3 oktober 2011

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - ' Back in the Crowd' by Tom Waits

Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.

Track of the week: ‘Back in the Crowd’ by Tom Waits (listen here)
Average grade: 5.5

Anna: That was pleasant - but that's pretty much it. I did enjoy the delicate Mexican feel it has, but the whole comes across as a bit snoozy. Sorry, Mr. Waits.
Grade: 5

Linda: I'm not a big Tom Waits fan, but I can certainly appreciate why people start falling over themselves every time he resurfaces. As for this track, I really like the fake old sound on it, like a faded instagram iPhone picture. But without the attached wannabe hipster and with Tom Waits. It's as if he knew we would need a soundtrack for a lazy tropical October weekend.
7.1/10

Craig: This is a pretty decent Tom Waits track. The timbre of the guitar and the quality of recording remind me of a Mexican Cantina from long ago. I love how the pitches bend at times to make it sound like old warped vinyl. Those kind of subtleties create a genuine quality and also distract me from Waits' voice which I often find more humorous than inspiring.
6/10

Stef: Am I the only one thinking, annoying little Mexican guitar thingy (or whatever country it is), and I cannot help but picture a drunken man just coming out of the pub with the way he sings on this. Though naturally, I wouldn’t dare say any of this to his face.
4/10

Geen opmerkingen: