maandag 8 november 2010

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - 'Freak Out' by Tapes 'n Tapes

Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.

Track of the week: ‘Freak Out’ by Tapes ‘n Tapes (listen here)
Average Grade: 5.8

Anna:
Well what do you know... Tapes sound grown up - in a non-neurotic way. Now that the tornado of a hype that surrounded them has long died down and their second blah album is behind them, it's time for the boys to really and soberly prove that they deserve our ears based on music merit alone. And indeed they do, laying down serious guitar chords and riding high on a great energy. Welcome back then.
7/10

Linda: It sounds nice enough, but it's hard to keep your attent- Oh look a squirrel!
5.3/10

Ilse: For the most part, this is something that wouldn't necessarily make me feel forced to change the radio channel, and I can somehow see this song working really well in semi-large venues. However, the part that isn't covered by the most part is that this track wouldn't make me want to download their album, and some sections remind me too much of Mumford & Sons. And no, that is not a compliment.
6.0/10

Craig: There is a lot of energy in this song, and it's a very lush sound. I like the change-up towards the end as well. However, there is nothing particularly new or stand-out about this sound. I hate to borrow a phrase from an old literature professor I had, but to me it just sounds like 'business as usual.'
4/10

Stef: It’s actually better than I expected. It’s still far away from the erratic brilliance of their first album, but I actually don’t find this as bland as their previous outing. Nothing special, but hopefully the first sign of a return to form from the lads who brought brilliance with tracks like ‘Omaha’, ‘Insistor’, and ‘Manitoba’. Still love the anxious feel the band exhumes.
6.5/10

Geen opmerkingen: