zondag 7 november 2010

Nieuwe tracks van 28 okt t/m 03 nov

Our weekly look into the blogosphere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period.

Track of the week:
‘Not in Love’ by Crystal Castles feat. Robert Smith
Truth be told, I’m not the biggest Crystal Castles fan and I’m not the biggest Robert Smith fan, but you know, this track is getting lots of press, and sometimes it is worth to revisit bands. Especially if they are seemingly doing something new (for them) and different (for them). I like that the electronic sound of Crystal Castles supports the haunt that seems to live in Robert Smith’s vocals. Normally I think Crystal Castles are a bit too hard hitting for my taste, but here they do match Smith and they hit the right buttons as far as I’m concerned. Pretty nifty track this. I do love my unlikely pairings, though often it is as awkward as anything else. This actually seems to work, so kudos to both of them for trying and working it out. With three and a half minutes it doesn’t outstay its welcome either.
http://hypem.com/track/1252350/Crystal+Castles+-+Not+In+Love+ft+Robert+Smith+


‘Never Know’ by Primary 1 feat. Harry Tuttle
We like Primary 1 around here (track down the interview we had with him in the archive). The clip features loads and loads of colours, and this track does have its share of pop embedded in it. It’s got the big chorus where the two vocalists come together with some extra fanfare whereas in the verses they do it separately and it is accompanied by relatively simpler music. The music does seem to change per vocalist, which I thought a pretty neat addition. “You never know, what might happen to you!” also can be sung along pretty easily while having that faux gravitas, that feel that even though it might not mean anything, you aren’t singing along to some brainless tune. And perhaps it’s not even “faux”, but the poppy music always suggests that. Obviously, as musos journo (and my degree in literature) I should be able to see through all of that, but not right now in this column, which isn’t meant for in depth analysis. Anyway, fun tune, not too shabby lyrics, and combine those two and it’s something I can actually listen to a fair few times without getting tired of it. Plus it’s got a big poppy chorus!
http://hypem.com/track/1248731/Primary+1+-+Never+Know+feat+Harry+Tuttle+

‘Lucidity’ by Tame Impala (Pilooski remix)
Hey, it’s Pilooski, that always means something. Tame Impala, I remember having reviewed an other remixed song by them this year and I believe I did like that one, so high hopes here then. It’s got that Impala experimental thingy going on at the start. I like the rhythm section banging on through to propel the song forward, and it actually kind of reminds me of ‘Gimme Some Lovin’ by the Spencer Davis Group (Trio, whatever, I forgot). Though, obviously, aside from the drumming, there’s nothing that even closely resembles it with the faint echo vocals and the experimental vibe running through it. It’s not a bad song by all means, even though I wouldn’t have minded a bit more variety in this five plus minute song.
http://hypem.com/track/1251228/Tame+Impala+-+Lucidity+Pilooski+Remix+

‘Other Lips, Other Kisses’ by We Are Standard (CFCF remix)
Gosh, this must seem like the fan club corner of CFCF, but every week it just seems as if he releases something new. And I’m not one to turn such generosity down. So here we go again, this time discussing a remix of his of a We Are Standard tune. A group which I don’t know, I must honestly admit. The beginning is all drums before the bass hits, and then the vocals come in for a slow paced electronic song. I really like how nuanced this song is with so many things you can listen to. Which just makes it a rich song. Don’t expect one of his more danceable remixes, but other than that it is just a very nicely crafted song, and perhaps more in keeping with his recent releases. I especially like the part just after the halfway mark.
http://hypem.com/track/1248774/We+Are+Standard+-+Other+Lips+Other+Kisses+CFCF+Remix+

‘Down by the Water’ by The Decemberists
I actually like The Decemberists quite a bit, for all the talk of more electronical music in this column. I’m a sucker for a nice concept album, and I like the theatrical feel of this band. They do paint quite the picture, and you just feel you can clearly imagine the world they are creating. Same with this tune, it is storytelling through music, and they have really mastered that in my opinion. Perhaps the last album was a bit too much of everything, but I always rather listen to a band who tries something and strikes out than bands who just do the same bland stuff. This just sounds like The Decemberists, and I like that. And if you don’t know what they sound like; it’s storytelling, bordering on the folk, but a little more theatrical. That’s my description anyway, but that probably doesn’t do anyone justice. Anyway, I’m glad they’re back, and I’m looking forward to listening to their new album.
http://hypem.com/track/1252279/The+Decemberists+-+Down+By+The+Water

‘Warpath’ by Esben and the Witch
Atmospheric and haunting, those are probably the key words of Esben and the Witch. I like how the vocals evoke those emotions, with the slight echo. Not everything of the music I find equally convincing though, and sometimes the music drowns the vocals out. I’m not a big fan of that I must admit, especially if the vocals are the part bringing out the atmosphere. I like the zingy guitar as well. Despite the atmosphere, sometimes it is hard to make out what the exact intentions are of this, and even though I like my occasional haunted mansion soundtrack I don’t see myself listening to this for too long.
http://hypem.com/track/1251985/Esben+and+the+Witch+-+Warpath

Geen opmerkingen: