maandag 27 september 2010

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - 'New Orleans' by Former Ghosts

Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.

Track of the week: ‘New Orleans’ by Former Ghosts (click here)
Average grade: 6.7


Linda: I've been a bit in love with this particular track since it surfaced somewhere late last year. Maybe it's the part where for once it's the man who's completely lost himself because of love (and to a married woman for that matter), maybe it's the simple wording (especially for someone who is a total Morrissey fanatic as Freddy Ruppert is), or maybe the display of emotions. I love how his voice cracks up on the final words: "It's all my fault, I fell in love in the first place". I love the bit where he has to cheat the rhythm to get the words "and my nights I don't remember" to fit in just before the first chorus. However, ever since I've heard to the track performed live last May it's been a downright love affair (not unlike the one in the song, how appropriate!). Freddy Ruppert started breaking up halfway through the song, the last chorus was barely audiable and after that he had to take a few seconds before he - still heavily emotional - could bring himself to announce the next song. It was a performance unlike anything I've ever seen before or since, so do go see him perform live sometime. And in the meantime: I'd like to gloat a bit on the fact that I seem to be the only person on the planet who is already in possession of the new Former Ghosts album. And it is amazing.
20/10 (as I already seem to be taking over this feature a bit this week, I've decided to introduce a French grading system) (yeah, like that was ever going to count –ed)

Craig: Anything Xiu Xiu touches is a definite 'don't' for me. And, even though she (was?) based out of my hometown, Zola Jesus sucks, too. Weepy beautiful white people music overload!
0.1/10

Ilse: Seeing Freddy Ruppert live is a very intense, almost painful experience and with this brilliant new album I can't wait to see him torment himself and his audience again. Having found new love or not, Ruppert manages to let his project keep its status of utter brutal gloom, exactly as it should be.
8.5/10

Anna: This tune would be right at home at a Wes Anderson film, but its cinematic values are not the only note-worthy thing about it. It achieves a balance between electronic-infused minimalism and melancholy that hits all the right spots. The trembling vocals add that extra layer of fragility and the result is rather striking.
7.5/10

Stef: I’ll just never understand those “experimental” details which for me just ruin the flow of the song. Love the haunting atmosphere though. Can totally imagine staring out of the window on a nightly commute on this one.
7.5/10

3 opmerkingen:

Linda zei

blasphemy!

Linda zei

[geekmode]Also, an average is clearly not the best measure to describe how we as a group feel about this song (after all, a Kolmogorov-Smirnov Test will tell that there's no chance of a normal distribution with only four people grading this, but you all know that of course). To make the 'average' more statistically sound, you'd have use the median, which would raise 'our' grade to 7.5. Or even better, remove all the outliers as they clearly are grading mistakes! That would increase the average grade to a staggering 8.4. Let's got with that :D[/geekmode]

Stef zei

Uh-huh.

...

Yeah, so... XD