maandag 13 september 2010

Nieuwe tracks van 02 t/m 08 sep

Our weekly look into the blogosphere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period.

Track of the week:
‘Need Your Lovin’ by Tensnake (Dub mix)

I’m kind of bummed out I’m going to miss Tensnake when they play after Hercules and Love Affair in Amsterdam (it’s a train thing, don’t ask). Ever since a friend of mine put this band forward I’ve been liking their output, and this one is no exception. Nice rhythm lines here with the synth (I think, I’m horrible with deducing which instrument is which!), and you can definitely dance to this in a club. I don’t think the vocals are the greatest, and the “I need ya, I want ya, I need ya lovin’” aren’t the most innovative lyrics in the world. I know it’s kind of not the point with this type of music, but how hard can it be to at least not use four of the most used words in the English language as your key lines? However, it is easy to playback along to, though it does get a bit repetitive after a while. It’s still a fun tune to put on though.
http://hypem.com/track/1089581/Tensnake+-+Need+Your+Lovin+Dub+Mix+


‘Stay Here’ by Friendly Fires & Azari III
So yeah, probably I should start by saying which part is Friendly Fires and which part is Azari III and how they came together. However, I forgot, and I’m writing this on the commute sans internet, so my apologies. It starts with some deep sounds, but soon that more poppy Friendly Fires vibe starts coming in, which especially becomes clear after the minute mark when it starts getting a sort of beach party vibe and a kind of sound similar to the debut album of Friendly Fires. They start by singing “It’s a cold world out there, so let’s stay in”. Sure, it’s not the most poetic stuff, but I do think it’s better than Tensnake’s ‘I need ya, I want ya, I need ya lovin’” as it at least tries to say something else. It kind of goes from that party pop mode of Friendly Fires to the more deep house sound of Azari III (so I guess I don’t have to look it up after all). And it is a pretty nice mix I think. The mix between the two styles prevents it from getting monotonous, but it isn’t that sharp a divide that it doesn’t mesh.
http://hypem.com/track/1200583/Friendly+Fires+and+Azari+III+-+Stay+Here

‘Static on the Wire’ by Holy Ghost! (RAC remix)
You know we love Holy Ghost! (see our interview with the lads in the interview section), and if you are a regular reader of this column then you know RAC is pretty high on the list of my favourite remixers. They produce smooth, disco-ey remixes, and this one is no difference. They give the song just a bit more speed and make it a bit easier to dance to, as the original had a bit of a slower disco vibe to it than this remix. And a smooth remix which makes a track easier to dance to, now who doesn’t want that? And the lovely guys in the Holy Ghost! team sent this track for us to just give away as well! How nice is that? I love it when, for example around 2:30, they start a new part of the song and give that start just that bit more oomph instrumentally, that’s always a sure way to get the dance floor going even more I find (it works for me at least). It is a fun and catchy remix, easy on the ear like is always the case with the boys from RAC, so it has my backing.
http://drp.ly/1FRi4T

‘Psychic Chasms’ by Neon Indian (Anoraak remix)
So him from Neon Indian is going to be mad busy the coming time with a new Neon Indian album and the VEGA debut to be recorded, and to be honest I’m looking forward to the latter even more. I’m not sure about how well the vocals work with this track. I loved the opening, this slow, deep piano thingy, but then the voice just doesn’t work particularly well with that in my opinion. Perhaps you, the reader, will feel otherwise. It still has a bit of a dreamy vibe going on. I actually like the sounds Anoraak is producing on this a whole bunch, I’m just not sure it mixes all that well with the original Neon Indian bits, which I guess still is the goal of a remix.
http://hypem.com/track/1205917/Aeroplane+-+Superstar+The+Krays+remix+

‘Superstar’ by Aeroplane (The Krays remix)
I like the start, which is kind of African drums like and rhythm based, but this is soon thrown out of the window in favour of a more hard hitting sound. I do like the bass in the beginning, but it seems as if the mix just gets cruder and cruder and is very much aimed for the club. And it might work there, but I wouldn’t put it on just to amuse myself at home. I’d much rather listen to the original, one I think I actually positively admired in this column a few weeks ago. Sometimes the original is better than the remix, go figure.
http://hypem.com/track/1205917/Aeroplane+-+Superstar+The+Krays+remix+

‘Helicopter’ by Deerhunter
Okay, so lets immediately admit that I’m not the biggest Deerhunter fan. So if you like Deerhunter, don’t put too much stock in my opinion. There’s just something about the aesthetic of the whole band and its sound that just doesn’t do it for me. This I do find kind of appealing though. I like the sound effects, though I would like them more if they were produced a bit smoother. Because it sounds to me like dropping water or something, and the effect I would want it to have (especially in light of the pace of this song) is tranquillizing, but because it is produced just slightly ramshackle like it doesn’t really push the right buttons for me. Which is too bad, because I do think how they use those sounds and the build-up of it is pretty nicely done. Or well, on paper it would like terribly nice to me anyway, but it is just in the way the band executes it, aye, there lies the rub. But I guess that Deerhunter and I always be at odds with that, so that didn’t really come as a surprise to me. Regardless of that, they should just cut the last thirty seconds of the song anyway.
http://hypem.com/track/1206359/Deerhunter+-+Helicopter

Geen opmerkingen: