zaterdag 25 september 2010

Nieuwe tracks van 16 t/m 22 sep

Our weekly look into the blogosphere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period.

Track of the week:
‘Dark Days’ by You Say Party! (CFCF remix)

I’ve never been a big You Say Party! We Say Die! fan, not because I didn’t like their music, but simply because I really never got around to actively listening to it. CFCF though, him I know, and especially his remixes I like (though I listened to that album again a while back, and it was just perfect for that particular moment, so I probably should stop saying, well, his album, not really that good then). Loving that slow bass on this one, and the slightly disco-ey sounds in the background. The vocals, dark and deep, work very well, and I like how they are offset by the piano. Despite the different elements and the seemingly contradictory ingredients I think it keeps its atmosphere very well, namely one of dancing with your eyes closed late at night. Just absolutely loving this, and CFCF does it again. I think this song will be part of a remix album You Say Party! are releasing, so check that one out.
http://www.lagasta.com/you-say-party-cfcf/


‘I Could be Wrong’ by Chromeo feat. Ezra Koenig
Hey, I love that 80s fun stuff Chromeo is doing, even though it sometimes is bordering on kitsch at points. And this song definitely is, and perhaps they went a bit too far with the cheesy side of the 80s stuff. Especially that echoing by the “background singers” is taking it all a little too far maybe. Then again, hey, as said, I like the occasional 80s over the top mimick fest, so I personally think this is fun enough without embalming it in greatness. If you don’t like music to be cheesy, eh, this might not be for you. And at the end, I mean, if you want Eighties, what about that sax solo and that speaking bit in which Ezra and one of the guys from Chromeo converse a la Paul McCartney / Michael Jackson in ‘The Girl is Mine’. That should give you an idea whether you like it or not.
http://hypem.com/track/1216863/Chromeo+-+I+Could+Be+Wrong+feat+Ezra+Koenig+

‘Honey Mine’ by Korallreven feat. Victoria Bergsman
I kind of like the starting sounds of it, even though I’m left with the feeling that if they would’ve dropped one of the instruments it would sound a little less muddled. The voice of Victoria Bergsman fits pretty good with the overall aesthetic this song exhumes. The voice has a dreamy quality that is a good mix with the instrumentation of Korallreven, even though their instrumentation actually might be just a tad too forceful. I think if they would’ve toned it down just a tad the mixture would work even better, but I can see why they enlisterd her to sing on this song. As it is now, I think it is a fine song, but I wouldn’t go manic and start dragging people over if this would ever come on the radio.
http://hypem.com/track/1211775/Korallreven+-+Honey+Mine+ft+Victoria+Bergsman+

‘Don’t be Afraid’ by Anoraak feat. Shally Shapiro (Alternate version)
I think I berated one of the Anoraak tracks in an earlier column because of the cringeworthy lyrics. For this, I’m not even listening to the lyrics (I mean, it’s Shapiro, they most likely will be Italo longing anyway, right? Am I right?), because the music itself and the voice just paint the picture for you really. Anoraak, I think they’ve done a very nice job on the album, to make it sound so cohesive. This song, it is made for an Italo singer like Shapiro, just the feeble longing of someone dreaming and wondering; this song with those vocals just embodies all those Italo qualities. And it is so nice and easy on the ear, so nice to dream away to while walking around at night or when commuting after a long day. Even though I’ve heard the actual version, I can’t for the life of me recall how it sounds and why this is called an “alternative” take, so if any of you can enlighten me on that, be my guest!
http://hypem.com/track/1217568/Anoraak+-+Don+t+Be+Afraid+feat+Sally+Shapiro+Alternative+Version+

‘Asia’ by Salem (oOoOO remix)
That band who does this remix, they really should change their name. First, how do you pronounce it, second, how do you write it, and third, I really don’t think it matters at all! Okay, so if you put a band called Salem together with a band whose name recalls some sort of spooky sound then this should by all means be what you get. Haunting noisy noises reminiscent of dark tales, graveyards, bats, and the burning of witches at the stake. I like that somewhat lighter and clearer sound that comes up at the 1:40 mark, bringing something to hold on to in this melange of darkness and experimental noise. Personally, it is not my thing, though I can imagine people liking especially the second part of this track. For me, they would have to cut the first part first for me to listen to it again.
http://hypem.com/track/1215744/Salem+-+Asia+oOoOO+Remix+


‘I Really Didn’t Need You Anyway’ by Neon Indian
This is a live take actually of a new Neon Indian song. Pretty funny that last week we had a Neon Indian song remixed by Anoraak, and now both Neon Indian and Anoraak are in this column with new material. Also pretty logical probably, because it means they’re busy and they try to get more attention by bringing some remixes and clips out and stuff in order to get on the blogs again and try to get some momentum going again. At least, I assume that’s how that works, but I can’t even plan my breakfast, let alone a musician’s plan de campagne. Anyway, this live take, it sounds kind of flat. It has some nice elements in it, and it does sound decidedly Neon Indian (for better or worse), but let me just say I’m looking forward to the studio version to re-evaluate this. Also a memo to myself, even though it is put on most blogs, don’t do live takes.
http://hypem.com/track/1209776/Neon+Indian+-+I+Really+Didn+t+Need+You+Anyway+Live+SIRIUS+XMU+Session+

Geen opmerkingen: