maandag 1 augustus 2011

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - 'Answer' by CANT


Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.

Track: ‘Answer’ by CANT (listen here)
Average Grade: 6.9

Ilse: Though it seems that the production/sound could've been a bit cleaner or fuller somehow, I find it a pleasantly sinister and sexy track. The dark romantic vibes are all over the place, which kind of reminds me of the XX. Odd to read this is by Chris Taylor of Grizzly Bear (and the album is a collaboration with George Lewis Jr aka Twin Shadow), because this song seems miles away from their music and I don't hear anything in it that makes me identify this track with either of them!
7.4

Anna: I quite enjoyed that - thickly and meticulously layered, it has a slithering quality that is quite addictive and made me use 4 adjectives in one sentence. On a related note, CANT surely is one of the most ungoogleable band names ever.
Grade: 7

Linda: Grizzly Bear is one of my favourite bands, so with CANT I was hoping for a sort of Lotus Plaza-effect (which would be the quite amazing, but often overlooked band fronted by that guy from Deerhunter who isn't Bradford Cox). And what do you know: it works again! Though it is something completely opposite from what you might expect from Grizzly Bear's flute and bass clarinet playing bassist, Chris Taylor is really onto something here. An album to look forward to in the second part of the year.
8/10

Stef: Some parts are very good, some parts are rather muddled I find. I understand what he is trying to do, but I would’ve opted for a cleaner cut with just a little bit less things running through each other.
5/10

Geen opmerkingen: