zondag 28 augustus 2011

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - 'Hazel' by Weekend



Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.
Track of the week: ‘Hazel’ by Weekend (listen here)
Average grade: 5.1

Craig: I've been following this band for a bit now and am super excited about their sound.  I love the absurd amount of reverb and their use of feedback as a staple.  It's funny, because though I value good production, I think this song is lacking in Weekend's aesthetic as I've come to see it--blown out vocals set over mega-distortion.  The vocals are so prominent that they're above the amazing soundscape Weekend is so capable of building, which I think should be the focus of their music.  Check out the song 'Coma Summer' <http://grooveshark.com/s/Coma+Summer/3SgGyT?src=5> off their album 'Sports' if you want to hear their full-on noise capability.
5/10

Ilse: Some great post-punk/shoegaze vibes to this track, I'm really digging the drums and bass. Only thing bothering me is the repetitivity of the lyrics and the word/name 'Hazel'; it's rather annoying. Other than that, it's a solid track, despite that it does not seem like something that might be very memorable.
 6.8/10

Linda: Didn't Ringo Deathstarr 'reinvent' enough noise pop for one year already? 
3/10

Stef: You know, I think this is a decent song. With that said, I’m not that sure if it stands out from other bands in this genre. For me and my untrained ears concerning this type of music, I just don’t feel them standing out.
5.5

Geen opmerkingen: