dinsdag 9 augustus 2011

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - 'Black Smoke Rise' by Wooden Shjips



Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.

Track: ‘Black Smoke Rise’ by Wooden Shjips (listen here)
Average grade: 6.7

Ilse: I consider Wooden Shjips an awesome band: bearded men making music that is gritty, raw, heavy and filled with psychedelic garage and space rock, what more do you want? Their new album 'West', which includes this track, is no exception to this. Down 'n dirty baby!
 8.0

Anna: I fell in love with this one deeply and instantly - its drony distortion has me swooning... I loved every dirty minute of it. If you want a more constructive review, give me a song that I won't love as much.
Grade:  9

Linda: There's a band by this name that I really like, I've seem them as a support act a couple of times now but I never seemed to be able to find any of their tracks online. Which might seem surprising in this time of 'everything is on Google if you just know how to look for it', but with a name like this, it gets a bit harder. As far as I'm aware, there are three bands by this name: Wooden Shjips, Wooden Ships and Wooden Sjips (and then there's also Ships and Shjips, not making the search any easier). As bands just tend to shout their name at the end of the gig, actually spelling a band name can be a bitch. I can now cross this particular spelling of my list of possibly interesting bands.
3/10

Craig: The blown-out guitar really works in this song, the organ adds a compelling aspect to the driving beat, and the tripped-out noise bridge towards the end is enough to make me fall in love.  Turn it up to eleven and destroy your teenage ears!
8.5/10

Stef: I like that lighter sound there behind that wall of guitars. That prevents it from being just guitars with muffled vocals. I like the atmosphere, but it is just too much wall and I’m not sure I can hear the ideas through there.
5.10

Geen opmerkingen: