maandag 8 februari 2010

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - 'Devil's Spoke' van Laura Marling

Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.

Track of the week: ‘Devil’s Spoke’ by Laura Marling (listen here)
Average grade: 7.6


Ilse: Classic Laura Marling; a lovely and strong voice, and wise beyond her years lyrics. Mumford (& Sons) joining in is always a pleasure. I like the banjo and the tension in this song; all in all it just makes me look forward to her new album even more, I can’t wait!
8.8/10

Craig: The driving guitar gives this song an urgent quality that is amplified by its lyricism. I don't think the singer-songwriter-with-a-guitar format is capable of coming up with much that is unique musically, so it has to rely on solid lyrics. Fortunately, this does, and Marling's voice is very full and beautiful.
7.5/10

Linda: I really liked Laura Marling's first album. With so many young, female singer-songwriters around these days, she really managed to stand out and create something new and exciting. This song still sounds exciting, but the novelty has worn off by now.
6.7/10

Anna: While I firmly believe that people should avoid nu-folk the way the devil avoids incense, I have to admit that this tune is good. There's nothing original about it, but this is not about originality. The punctuated march of its rhythm combined with an underlying sense of menace charmed me up thoroughly. I've listened to it three times already, and I have the feeling that this is the beginning of yet another compulsive Repeat One journey...
7.5/10

Jon: My darling Marling is no longer just a girl, a guitar and a velveteen voice. She seems to have blossomed into a wise old troubadour, playing/writing with more vigour and skill and rubber stamping the fact that the first album was no fluke. I love this girl.
9.5/10

Stef: For me it just lacks that bit of menace, that bit of theatricality in her voice which would’ve put it over the top. I saw her playing a festival, and I like seeing her at a festival, I don’t know if I would actually make a gig of hers a night out.
5.5/10

Geen opmerkingen: