zaterdag 20 februari 2010

Nieuwe tracks van 11 t/m 17 feb

Our weekly look into the blogosphere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period.

Track of the week:
'Efficient Machine' by Kasper Bjorke

This record is gonna be huge, at least it will be for me (already ordered it on vinyl, you know, and based on three tracks that is). This is the second single in Scandinavia, in Europe 'Alcatraz' with Jacob Bellens on vocals had that honour. This track has the vocals of that guy from WhoMadeWho, and what a vocals they are. Bjorke sure knows how to pick them. Catchy, athmospheric, and just a bloody good tune as far as I'm concerned. Almost choir like vocals with handclaps on the background and a beat throbbing along, just to kick it into proper dance mode. It's been on repeat ever since the clip was placed on his MySpace, and I'm actually not sure when I'm going to tire of it. Just terribly good and well looking forward to that bit of vinyl to drop through my mailbox.
http://hypem.com/track/1044183/Kasper+Bjrke+-+Efficient+Machine


'Hide Me' by The Golden Filter
I absolutely adored ‘Solid Gold’ by this band, and I have been intrigued enough by the other outings that I’m really looking forward to that April debut album they’re gonna drop. This is not their best effort in my opinion. As said, I loved the almost italo ‘Solid Gold’, was impressed by the more club friendly ‘Thunderbird’, loved the delightfully catchy ‘My Favourite Things’ on the Kitsuné sampler; this I’m not so sure about. It seemingly tries to mix the somewhat harder beat of ‘Thunderbird’ with a more Italo sensibility, but for some reason the beat puts me off and seems a bit too present compared to the rest of the song. And admittedly, some of the instrumental stuff is really catchy, and the “Hide me, no, find me” is your basis Italo longing that we know all too well. But the mixture of the two here seems a bit, well, not up to par with their other efforts, so perhaps I’m now more intrigued by the upcoming debut than that I’m sure of it.

http://hypem.com/track/1043968/The+Golden+Filter+-+Hide+me

'Spoiledboy' by 80kidz feat. Lovefoxxx
I always had one problem with CSS, and that is that I was of the opinion that she cannot really sing. So imagine my bemusement when coming across a track with her on guest vocals. And she features prominently, in case you (like I) were hoping that it would be a cameo. It isn’t even a bad track if you like this sort of thing, a bit of spunky pop you could say, bit of punk and a bit of funk with a rather poppy chorus. I especially like the more spunky bits, the pop thing I’ve heard and heard better. As said, the vocals are not really my thing, but if you have listened to CSS and didn’t think it a problem than you probably are not going to make a problem of it now. It’s got energy though, I’ll definitely give it that.
http://hypem.com/track/1035100/80kidz+-+Spoiledboy+feat+Lovefoxxx

'Fight Song' by We Are the World
I actually made a fuss about this band waaaay back, as in, like, 2008, based on a couple of MySpace tracks and especially ‘Clay Stones’, which I rated (and still do, actually), very highly. Also, underground LA reports were very positive about their live show, so yeah. Now, two years (or seemingly two years) later they’re almost ready to give us their debut and perhaps a bit of touring as well, and this track is a preview of what is to come. It is a bit experimental, a bit Arabic at times I would say, and normally I don’t like Arabic or Eastern sounds, but the sounds and those rather fetching deep vocals create a particular atmosphere I find very interesting. It is definitely a slower song than for example their ‘Clay Stones’, but intriguing nonetheless. I love that build-up around three quarters, where they do the same thing three or four times, but increasingly more menacing. I love build-ups like that. It might not be for everyone, but I think their debut is gonna be heralded by some as one of the more interesting releases of 2010.
http://hypem.com/track/1035546/We+Are+The+World+-+Fight+Song

'On Board' by Holy Ghost feat. The DFA Celestial Choir (Friendly Fires cover)
I like Friendly Fires, I love Holy Ghost!, so those two exchanging covers sounds like a good idea to me. And you could even say they are reimaginings, at least this one is, as it sounds totally different from the original. It is perhaps less energetic than the original, but more fluent disco, but hey, it’s Holy Ghost!, I would be disappointed if it wasn’t. If you are expecting another instant dancefloor filler you might want to resort to the original, but this one is very danceable as well, it is just a bit more subdued. Less likely to jump out at you, but as said, very fluent and catchy and, well, disco. Perhaps also one of the last things you will hear featuring the late Jerry Fuchs on drums. Not sure where that choir comes in though.
http://hypem.com/track/1042879/Holy+Ghost+-+On+Board+Friendly+Fires+Cover+

'Stylo' by Gorillaz (Alex Metric remix)
I love ‘Stylo’, and it is always interesting what remixes make of a track you love (or, in other words, whether they are able to kill it). I expected, prior to listening, Metric to bring it a bit harder, less poppy, than the original. Love the repeated vocals at the beginning, as I thought the original vocals to be rather inspired, so good to see that as Metric’s opening gambit. And if you are expecting a hard, omnipresent beat (like I did), forget it. Sure, Metric’s remix is more club ready than the original is, but the vocals and the added instruments don’t make this a standard club thing. Actually, there are some disco/funk elements added in here which took me by surprise, and a pleasant surprise they were. And of course these disco elements come in at exactly the moment that Womack can be heard bellowing it out in the background. Lots of room for the vocals on this remix, and the mixture of the different vocal tracks is lovely indeed. I’m just absolutely loving this one to bits, definitely worth the listen, and it might persuade me to get this baby on vinyl.
http://hypem.com/track/1043966/Gorillaz+-+Stylo+Alex+Metric+Remix+

Geen opmerkingen: