zondag 14 februari 2010

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - 'Here Lies Love' van David Byrne and Fatboy Slim feat. Florence Welch

Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh. And yes, I said, on paper, this is hard to beat, I mean, see for yourself!

Track of the week: ‘Here Lies Love’ by David Byrne and Fatboy Slim, feat. Florence Welch (listen here)
Average grade: 3.4


Anna: It's mind-boggling how three talented people can create such a load of rubbish. The good news is that it would do really well in Eurovision.
2/10

Craig: Stef is right; on paper this sounds like a good idea, and I bet this song - and the whole concept album - would appeal to a lot of my friends, but disco mixed with musical theatre is kind of a double turn-off for me. It's an admirable idea to bring 'high art' into dance clubs, but honestly the Broadway musical is the equivalent of disco when it comes to theatre as an art form, so it's not such a culture-bending stretch. I would be interested to hear the Sharon Jones track on this album, though.
2/10

Linda: I like Florence best when she is told what to sing. Somehow that just works a lot better for her then when she sings her own songs. Take this song: her voice sounds so grand, without being tacky in any way (unlike that 'You've Got the Love' cover on her album). It's just that chorus, I know I've heard it before, I just don't seem to able to put my finger on it...
7.1/10

Ilse: Some parts in this song seem straight out of the Wizard Of Oz, whereas the chorus has 4 Non Blondes – ‘Whats Going On’ influences. The Wizard of Oz supported by a 4 Non Blondes soundtrack equals what my worst nightmare would look (and sound) like.
2/10

Danielle: I thought I would like this track and I wanted to like it. I kept listening and listening, hoping it would grow on me, but I always ended up bored. The vocals are nice and the dance beats are fun, but somehow they just don't fit together right. The concept has intrigued me and I will likely check out the rest of the album, but no thanks to this track.
5.5/10

Jon: What an odd collaboration. Would’ve been happier with more Byrne and a lot less Slim. As for Florence sounding like Rufus Wainwright as Judy Garland I'm left unimpressed.
4/10

Stef: Oh. My. God.
1/10 (And yes, wasted talent is factored into the score)

Geen opmerkingen: