zondag 11 april 2010

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - 'Scarecrows on a Killer Slant' van Liars

Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.

Track: ‘Scarecrows on a Killer Slant’ by Liars (listen here)
Average grade: 6.6


Craig: The intro is really surfer-sounding, like The Ventures if they were all murderers. And holy violence//are you hearing these lyrics?? They made me feel evil, which I admit I do love. All in all, this is a pretty dead-on Liars song that still manages to stay fresh. Okay, it's a little repetitive, and not as 'Drum's Not Dead'-era as I prefer, but they totally make up for it in sheer volume.
8/10

Ilse: I can vaguely remember listening to a couple of Liars songs years ago, so in order to get a better perspective, I listened to the couple of songs I had on my computer. In comparison with the subject of review, and on condition that ‘Scarecrows’ is what the rest of the album Sisterworld sounds like, I get the impression they sound more accessible, playing badass, violent, masochistic rock rather than weird experimental stuff. Perhaps it’s too early to judge, seeing my infant knowledge of Liars’ discography, which gives me a task for today: download their albums. Especially the new one, because I love this song.
8.0/10

Linda: Oh I just love the title of the track: it sounds exactly like the kind of deranged horror movie I would find immensely funny, and the song would be the perfect soundtrack. Without visuals I just feel like I'm missing something here.
6.9/10

Anna: I can say with something that vaguely resembles certainty that the new Liars' album is going to be in my top 10 for the year, and the reasons can clearly be heard in this song. A sense of menace, a feeling of unpretentious experimental rock, thumping guitars, and steely tension of the highest quality. Go on, lie to me some more.
8/10

Danielle: This is not my kind of thing at all. Not even a tiny bit. So I tried really hard to keep an open mind and to appreciate it for what it is. I failed.
2/10

Stef: I do think this probably is one of the more aptly titled tracks I’ll come across this year. The atmosphere and horror b-movie vibe are well done. I like it in isolated terms, though I must admit that a full album would probably be stretching it a bit for me.
6.5/10

Geen opmerkingen: