maandag 12 april 2010

Nieuwe tracks van 31 mrt t/m 6 apr

Our weekly look into the blogosphere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period.

Track of the week:
‘Moon Theory’ by Miami Horror
I’m pretty up and down with Miami Horror. Some songs I find very catchy and lovely, others I am not too fond off. Sometimes I feel they are a bit too soft for my taste. This one is a corker though, in my opinion at least. It is catchy, and I love the Eighties poppy vibe for the dance floor. I also like how the voice(s) are incorporated into the music instead of going up front, as I can remember sometimes not liking that with this band. It is paced very well, never lets up, and it is also easy to sing along with the chorus, or just dream away to it. I was a bit down on this band lately, but nothing like a track that makes me want to take interest again.
http://hypem.com/track/1085578/Miami+Horror+-+Moon+Theory


‘Sandwiches’ by Body Language (Alaska in Winter remix)
This one is a cover of a Grand Pubah song done by the new outfit Body Language, and remixed by one of my personal favs, Alaska in Winter. I loved Alaska in Winter's previous album as that was real city in the night like, a sound which I love. So the instrumentals – surprise, surprise – are all right with me. I love the beat, and I especially love the sounds around the four minute mark (both before and after). It’s not really dancey, more a slow burner, but I wasn’t expecting anything else from an Alaska in Winter remix. I’m not sure about the vocals though, there is something that I find just too peculiar about the luscious way in which she sings the word “sandwiches”, which to the best of my knowledge doesn’t really merit such a vocal treatment.
http://hypem.com/track/1083858/Body+Language+-+Sandwiches+Alaska+in+Winter+Remix+


‘Fever’ by Sensual Harassment
It starts off like a proper rocker or something. In any case, with a bang, and a lot of noise. After that it loses that edge a bit (thankfully I might add) and it settles down into something altogether more lovable, though also something rather familiar. I can’t really put my finger on it, but it did ring all kinds of bells with me in terms of familiarity. I have heard it before, something kept saying to me, though it is my first encounter with this particular band. Not to say it is a bad song. As said, after the initial barrage of noise I found it a nice lo-fi pop tune, and three quarters in the noise has most definitely gone away in favour of more of a synth sound and a la-la-la-la sing-a-long line. Although that might be pushing it a bit from the opposite end of the spectre I guess.
http://hypem.com/track/1083200/Sensual+Harassment+-+Fever


‘Alligator’ by Tegan and Sara (Toro Y Moi remix)
Tegan & Sara are apparently very popular, because every time I see their name on a listing somewhere it is always followed by the words “sold out”. They have completely past me by personally though. Toro Y Moi might not be quite that popular yet, but he is kind of a hype name at the moment. I am actually quite taken with the mixture of Tegan & Sara’s vocals and the more dreamy sound that I connote with Toro Y Moi. It fits one another, and I always like that in a remix. With four minutes it is the right length for this kind of song as well I think. Nice and dreamy with fitting vocals and some nifty drumming. Quite enjoyable.
http://hypem.com/track/1083755/Tegan+Sara+-+Alligator+Toro+Y+Moi+Remix+

‘Discipline’ by Panic Bomber
Panic Bomber is an electronic producer I personally have never heard of prior to this, and perhaps that is because he operates in an area I’m not too familiar with. It is a bit more hard hitting than I’m used to and than I generally like. At least the first one and a half minutes, after that the vocals come in and it kind of settles down, even though it stays a bit rough around the edges. And every time the vocals stop it reminds me what the starting sound was and what Panic Bomber probably wants the overall feel of the song to be. I like chunks of this, some stuff is too hard and perhaps too club for me personally, and I’m not sure about the middle section and about the seven minute running time. Not too surprising, perhaps the best bit of this I find the vocals and hand clapping after the instrumental middle section.
http://hypem.com/track/1082903/Panic+Bomber+-+Discipline

‘You Wanna Do’ by Hotbath
From Crazy P edits this track is. It takes a while before the song takes off (as in, over a minute), and even when the new instruments come in it stays a bit understated. Like the kid who is unsure of itself and wants to say something but would rather not go through the anxiety of having his answer weighed publicly. It is a slice of old school disco, but it lacks the oomph, however it also lacks an underground vibe. As in, it does not have the pop disco diva extravagance, but it feels like it actually should have just that because the way the song is now it is perhaps a bit underwhelming. The “background” vocalists occasionally try to insert some oomph, but it’s a bit too sparse as far as I’m concerned.


Geen opmerkingen: