maandag 26 april 2010

Nieuwe tracks van 14 t/m 20 apr

Our weekly look into the blogosphere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period.

Track of the week:
‘ Bubble Bath’ by The Swiss (Glimmers Plastic edit)

I really, really liked that The Swiss EP that came out not too long ago, and I find most of their tunes very catchy and nifty. So it’s always interesting to see whether or not an edit/remix can make it more fun, or different fun, or keep it as fun while being a bit different, and so on. Glimmers do keep it danceable and catchy though, so no worries there. Perhaps they make it even a bit more ready for the dance floor (not that the original wasn’t, but you know what I mean). A bit more innocent fun with some cheesy stuff in there, but I like cheesy at the right moments. With the running time under the four minutes it can also stay high energy without wearing you out too much.
http://hypem.com/track/1091823/The+Swiss+-+Bubble+Bath+Glimmers+Plastic+Edit+


‘Invisible Light’ by Scissor Sisters
Liking the Scissor Sisters is probably a bit uncool with their big unashamedness and poppy songs. However, I always find people who just say what they like whether or not everyone plus Pitchfork hates it infinitely cooler than people who only like what they’re supposed to like. With that said generally, I don’t like Scissor Sisters’ output, (un)fashionable or not. So not sure where that puts me. I liked that ‘Take Your Mama Out All Night’ one (if that’s not the correct title I’m sorry!), but I’m not a fan of their other work. The first thing that I noticed is how the male vocalist has dropped his, ehrm, voice, as he is singing deeper, if you can call it singing, as it is almost a mix of singing and spoken word. It starts with “Babylon”and “Zion” imagery, which I felt were more of a “ohh look how interesting we can be” than actually aiding to the vibe or story of the song. Perhaps others won’t have that problem though. The choruses are really, really pop and for the mainstream dance floor. So not sure about that. I do like some of the more disco bits though, and don’t be surprised at the sight of me on the dance floor when that instrumental thing around the five minute mark kicks in, but it is not something I would put on at home or put in a set or something.
http://hypem.com/track/1088108/Scissor+Sisters+-+Invisible+Light

‘Struck Dumb’ by The Futureheads
The Futureheads, ah, they were from that “school” with bands like The Rakes, with the notable difference that I liked The Rakes’ debut more. Arguably they both went downhill from there. Surprisingly, I’m not so sure this isn’t a song by Maximo Park, because I find that even the voice sounds eerily similar. Perhaps it has been too long since I last listened to Maximo Park to really tell the difference though. Anyway, yeah, nice and bouncy but, like most of all those bands more recent output, not that spectacular really. Nothing that grabs you or makes you want to dance, and lyrically I’d rather listen to Pulp sing ‘Glory Days’, which I think is much smarter though it deals with roughly the same subject I imagine. I don’t think this is going to get them out of their alleged slump really.
http://hypem.com/track/1092084/The+Futureheads+-+Struck+Dumb

‘Runway, Houses, City, Clouds’ by Tame Impala
To be honest, I had grown tired of that garagey, noisy scene a bit, and everything affiliated with it. But this I well like, and that’s a first in 2010 probably. It’s a bit shoegaze along with some garagey rock, and I just love that fast guitar play. It’s got a bit of a Sixties/Seventies vibe to it you know, bit of a psychedelia thing. Also love that even danceable instrumental bit around the 3:30 mark. After that it goes more into shoegaze mode again, and it has all the time in the world to do that, with a seven minute running time.
http://hypem.com/track/1095210/Tame+Impala+-+Runway+Houses+City+Clouds

‘Miranda’ (Jacques Renault edit)
Big love for Jacques Renault. Not sure about this one though. It is very, I don’t know, some Ibiza beach party with all kinds of bikini clad girls and beer bellied guys with, well, beers in plastic cups or something. That’s how the start comes across to me, anyway. Cut a bit forward, and suddenly we’ve got a rollicking bass, some cymbal action, and we’re back in the territory which I associate with Renault and why I love him so. Not to mention when at the two minute mark a new instrument comes in. Love that. Sometimes the vibe of the start of the song returns, and then it thankfully goes away again. So stretches of the song I like, but it’s not my favorite Renault edit. Not everything can be golden.
http://hypem.com/track/1089885/Jacques+Renault+OTP+Party+Breaks+2+-+B201+Miranda

‘ Fool’s Day’ by Blur
Hey, I love Blur as much as the next guy, and some song I really, really love. This one sounds a bit like what it actually is, something done in between jobs. It’s not really that special, the message we’ve heard before, and the only positive thing is that it is Blur, and that band can’t go below “adequate”. With that said, it is just that, merely a nice tune. Not something I would pay 100 pounds for or whatever it is going for on E-Bay at the moment.
http://hypem.com/track/1096367/Blur+-+Fool+s+Day

Geen opmerkingen: