zondag 18 april 2010

Nieuwe tracks van 7 t/m 13 apr

Our weekly look into the blogosphere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period.

Track of the week:
‘A City Under Siege’ by Boy 8-Bit (StopMakingMe remix)

This has got me well impressed. London producer StopMakingMe took this ‘City Under Siege’ track by Boy 8-Bit, and the end result is pretty brilliant in my opinion. First of all, the track is aptly titled, because it really, really comes across as a city under siege, or at least something menacing or another. But not only the atmosphere is right, it is also pretty danceable and quite hypnotic. Also big love for the horns (at least, I think they are horns or are supposed to produce a horn-like sound). The track is also build-up very well with multiple layers and several different sections which work together very nicely. Cinematic yet for the dance floor as well. This definitely has me curious concerning the two artists involved.
http://hypem.com/track/1088951/Boy+8+Bit+-+A+City+Under+Siege+Stopmakingme+Remix+


‘Time + Space’ by The Time and Space Machine
The things I’ve heard from The Time and Space Machine I quite like, and this is no exception. It starts off really nice, as if the beginning of a journey, and after a little over 1 ½ minute the instruments come in, and the vocals really finish everything off quite nicely. It also fits with the name of both the song and the band (which, since they are practically similar, shouldn’t be too surprising). It is not superfast or anything like that, but it is really easy on the ear and it really has me in a bit of a hypnotize mode. It has a hint of 70s spacey/psychedelic stuff over it, but with a steady canvas of drums which helps chug the song forward in a comfortable manner.
http://hypem.com/track/1082782/The+Time+And+Space+Machine-Time+%2B+Space

‘ Lewis Takes Off His Shirt’ by Owen Pallett (Dan Deacon remix)
That is a lot of echoing, the repetition of the same words that is (not imitating Foghorn Leghorn at all there). I’m usually not too fond of such a thing as it doesn’t appeal to me personally, but I do think it is pretty well done. It really builds and builds up by looping the same stuff over and over and intensifying it. It is perhaps a tad too busy for me in the beginning, but I do reckon that if that usually isn’t much of a concern for you that you might enjoy this spin Dan Deacon gave this Owen Pallett track a great deal. I’m not adverse to it by any means, and I think it is nicely crafted, even if the beginning is not really to my personal taste. Throughout the song it kind of mellows a bit, which is a good thing, because you can’t go over seven minutes in total overdrive (that is, like, sooo impossible).
http://hypem.com/track/1090246/Owen+Pallett+-+Lewis+Takes+Off+His+Shirt+Dan+Deacon+Remix+


‘You’ by Gold Panda
I haven’t liked everything by Gold Panda so far, kind of up and down about this artist, so I’m eager to see if in a live setting he can convince me (as I’m seeing him on Wednesday). This track I’m in favour of though. Not too busy -- sometimes the beat even sounds a tad lazy -- and the song moves forward pretty well on that beat. There are some additional sounds which make the track more interesting but which are nicely spread out. In recent times I find myself often thinking, “my gosh, were all those sounds really necessary to propel this song forward?”, and Gold Panda shows that with modest means you can still make something to which people can shuffle their feet to.
http://hypem.com/track/1089930/Gold+Panda+-+You

‘The Night Before the Funeral’ by The Mary Onettes
The Mary Onettes are a Swedish band with already two albums to their name. Some of their stuff is a bit reminiscent of Interpol crossed with Blonde Redhead. There are deep, clear vocals, and in this song it is primarily the acoustic guitar which accompanies it (and something making an organ kind of sound). But it is a bit of a ballad you could say, which you could’ve perhaps guessed from the title. I’m always hesitant of such titles with “night” in combination with “funeral” and that kind of pretty straightforward and easy imagery. But oh well, that’s the former literature student in me speaking I suppose. The track is nice and easy on the ear, although not really anything too special. Though I wouldn’t take offense if anyone put it on.
http://hypem.com/track/1090173/The+Mary+Onettes+-+The+night+before+the+funeral

‘None of Dem’ by Robyn
Quite a funky groove from Swedish starlet Robyn. From her most recent tracks this is probably the one I’m liking the most. It is danceable and fun, over which Robyn seems to sing about how she finds everything quite lacking in “this town” and she wants to be taken away where there is music and people who are young and alive, or something less Smithsian. I can see this go down in the club, probably better than the other efforts that will make their way on her newest album coming this year.
http://hypem.com/track/1088552/Robyn+-+None+Of+Dem

Geen opmerkingen: