maandag 5 april 2010

Nieuwe tracks van 24 t/m 30 mrt

Our weekly look into the blogosphere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period.

Track of the week:
‘Feel So Good’ by The Juan MacLean

In case they ever get tired of doing ‘Happy House’ (which I don’t hope because that song kills) they already have its replacement in place. This song will appear on John MacLean’s DJ Kicks, and it’s an absolute corker! It’s just ten minutes of pure dance mania, super catchy, and I can’t get enough of it really. One of the best tunes this year so far in my book. I just love that band, and live they are simply magnificent. Now, to support the DJ Kicks release John MacLean will appear behind the turntables throughout Europe, so be sure to be there. I believe he’s going to do a set with Horse Meat Disco in London, and if that doesn’t get you dancing nothing will I think. Not quite as great as the live version of ‘Happy House’ (which is twenty minutes of madnesssss), but I’m not sure anything is up to that really. Big love!
http://hypem.com/track/1079805/The+Juan+MacLean+-+Feel+So+Good


‘Drunk Girls’ by LCD Soundsystem
I was not really amused with this when I heard this for the first time. I guess I was just expecting something else really (like more in the vein of the excellent cover ‘Bye Bye Bayou’ they did last year). Perhaps it’s also just the title, which I link to debauchery more than I do to something fun, but apparently Murphy does as well as he “believes in waking up together”. The more I listen to it the more I like it though. The catchy, full throttle mode and the speedy spoken word (or whatever you want to call this kind of delivery) make it into something I can enjoy. It is funny because this is really more of a fast food thing you could say then what you would normally call a grower, but it did grow on me. From not amused to enjoying it, eat that The National! And well looking forward to the Holy Ghost! remix of this. DFA rules.
http://hypem.com/track/1078175/LCD+Soundsystem+-+Drunk+Girls

‘Dead Sun’ by Liquid Vega (Museum of Bellas Artes Remix)
I guess I could get philosophical about a build-up leading up to nothing. As in, there is no climax, it is in the doing that one receives the fun and the reward, not in the actual achieving, or, to steal a line from Modest Mouse, “If you could be anything you’d be disappointed, am I right?”. The thing is, I was really really expecting this to lead to a climax, to something that would burn holes into the dance floor. That it would build up to a big mean punch. Instead, it lingers. And that is not a bad thing per se. It is semi danceable, some elements are quite nifty even though I do think it is a bit of a busy track myself (in the same vein perhaps as stuff like Caribou later in this column), and that Spanish guitar thingy is something you don’t come across everyday. I think that around three quarters (after which you have listened to five minutes of this) there is a definite opportunity to kick it into a higher gear. That would’ve done wonders for my attention span, because eight minutes is a bit too long without really having a pay off I think.
http://hypem.com/track/1076040/Liquid+Vega+-+Dead+Sun+Museum+of+Bellas+Artes+remix+

‘The Worse It Gets’ by Penguin Prison (RAC remix)
If you are a regular reader of this column you might know I have been a bit critical on Penguin Prison from time to time. Enter RAC, which is one of my favourite remix collectives out there, and suddenly I am enjoying the heck out of a Penguin Prison track! This is just a great flowing (synth) pop song to which I wouldn’t mind dancing. So if you’re looking for a bit of fun 80s pop or something, this is definitely worthwhile I think. So yeah, it might not be the greatest thing ever made, but RAC sure knows how to make a catchy tune, and Penguin Prison apparently makes tracks which can be remixed quite well.
http://hypem.com/track/1079826/Penguin+Prison+-+Worse+It+Gets+RAC+Remix+

‘Panic Attack’ by Florrie (Fred Falke remix)
The thing is, I adore Fred Falke. He and RAC are two of my favourite remixers, so I’m getting spoiled this week I suppose (not to mention the DFA output!). Whether I would listen to Florrie if not remixed I highly doubt, as at the moment I imagine her songs to sound like every other female pop singer with a bit of indie/electro vibe. Falke makes everything enjoyable though, and this is another smooth and danceable remix by him. Like the RAC remix it is catchy and very poppy, so it might not be for everyone, but like every Falke remix it floooows. The vocals aren’t too shabby, but the voice and the way she sings isn’t really my cup of tea I’m afraid. And with six and a half minutes it might be pushing it a bit.
http://hypem.com/track/1079108/Florrie+-+Panic+Attack+Fred+Falke+Extended+Mix+

‘Odessa’ by Caribou (Nite Jewel remix)
Caribou is a bit hit and miss with me. It changes per song, and then it also depends on my mood, as sometimes I love it, and sometimes I suddenly find it all too cluttered and it starts to annoy me. This Nite Jewel remix mostly annoys me, not depending on my mood. It kind of feels as if everything has been slowed down and is working in slow motion, and I really get an itchy feeling when listening to this. Some stuff is pretty nice and well done (the bit starting around the 4:30 mark up to the end is pretty good), but overall I can’t really get into it.
http://hypem.com/track/1074870/Caribou+-+Odessa+Nite+Jewel+Remix+

Geen opmerkingen: