maandag 5 juli 2010

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - 'Coquette Coquette' by of Montreal

Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.

Track: ‘Coquette Coquette’ by of Montreal (listen here)
Average grade: 6.7


Linda: *before listening* Yay, Of Montreal! *after listening* Nay, Of Montreal!
4.2/10

Craig: I was very excited to learn that of Montreal is coming out with a new album soon. I knew to hold any expectations at bay because Kevin Barnes' style is so amorphous, yet I am still surprised by this song in its regression to of Montreal's earlier sound. Simply stated, it's a little more straight-up rocknroll than Skeletal Lamping's ADD-style druggy funk.

The subject matter is still the same neurotic hyper-reflective relationship examination he's been stuck on for some time now, which I don't tend to enjoy in songs because it strikes me as uncreative and stereotypically "indie," but his voice and the fantastic production by Jon Brion have won me over on this one.
8/10

Anna: Imagine an independent James Bond who is contemporary and still relevant and fresh; he's standing on the corner of right here and right now, oozing cooler-than-thou vibes. Suddenly, the next ex object of his desire enters the scene, and Coquet Coquette provides the purrrfect soundtrack to the inevitable seduction.
Of Montreal are on top lyrical and musical form, and they've turned the atmosphere several notches up.

Grade: 8.5 (hot and bothered about the upcoming album, me)

Stef: Okay, I admit, I like the extravagant, the outlandish in of Montreal more than this kind of almost psychedelic rock thingy. I hope the other songs have a but more of that Hissing Fauna funk in them. Since first listen it has grown on me a little bit though.
6/10

Geen opmerkingen: