zondag 18 juli 2010

Nieuwe tracks van 08 t/m 14 juli

Our weekly look into the blogosphere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period.

Track of the week:
‘If You Return’ by Maximum Tiger feat. Little Dragon
Now this, this I am looking forward to. Maximum Balloon, aka Dave Sitek, is going to blow everyone out of the water with this album, that’s a guarantee! Well, not really, I’m not the man of bold predictions, but that first track ‘Tiger’ was wicked. Not to mention that fabulous clip with the balloons and the Chinese tiger and the fact that at the beginning all the balloons are red with only a dash of yellow (Chinese flag, anyone?). Oh yeah, this track, it is not as catchy or rock as ‘Tiger’. In terms of pace it is a bit slower, but it is definitely engaging. Again, this is the right voice for it. That is always the danger of an album with so many guest vocalists, you can pick the wrong ones, but Little Dragon definitely fits the bill here. Love the continuous guitar sound in the back ground as well. It’s been a long while since I’ve anticipated an album to the extent I do this one.
http://hypem.com/track/1160309/Maximum+Balloon+-+If+You+Return+Feat+Little+Dragon+

‘The Truest Faith’ by Korallreven (CFCF remix)
Oh this is sick. CFCF, you know, I’ve been down on him for the last few months because I liked some of his stuff so much and his more recent things just didn’t click with me to such an extent as earlier remixes did. But this is lovely. Slow paced, hypnotizing close-your-eyes-and-dream-away stuff to a plus/minus 105 bpm slight disco beat thingy (at least, that’s what my little BPM software machine tells me). Love the piano coming through as well after the three minute mark. I’m always a big fan of that. The vocals are right for this kind of stuff. They’re pretty deep, and the music fits the vocals and the other way around, so together they create a pretty good atmosphere. Lovely for the night critters amongst us, something you can put on after midnight and get hypnotized by. And on a personal note I’m just happy I’m connecting again to CFCF stuff, because that guy is talented.
http://hypem.com/track/1161369/Korallreven+-+The+Truest+Faith+CFCF+Remix+


‘A Piece of String’ by Clock Opera (Mickey Moonlight remix)
Clock Opera and Mickey Moonlight, now those are quite the names. I’m not sure I’m happy about them, but names they are. I’m not feeling this one. It just feels so odd to me, as something isn’t synchronized or something. I get this itchy feeling from it as the music and the beat just feel like this avant-garde thing to me no one in the world can dance to. Then again, I’m not really sure anyone is supposed to. Let me just tell you, with a name like Mickey Moonlight I was expecting something glitz and catchy, but this is exactly the opposite. The vocals also have some weird tremble in them it seems sometimes, but there aren’t much vocals in here to be honest. Too bad, because I liked that icy sound they brought to the mix. This perhaps is a bit more for the experimental kids amongst us.
http://hypem.com/track/1154117/Clock+Opera+-+A+Piece+Of+String+Mickey+Moonlight+Remix+

‘Singular’ by Discodeine feat. Matias Aguayo
I guess some people are wetting their pants over this one, as Pilooski had a pretty good year I think and Aguayo made one of the albums of the year last year (according to some, and others agreed). Plus they got Jarvis to contribute to one track, which instantly bumped this one up the chart of albums I’m looking forward to. Loving the sexy whispery French vocals, which just goes to show that if you don’t understand what is being said something sounds so much more sexier than when you do. The bass is lovely, gotta get your hips swaying on that. The synth comes and goes to help the bass with chugging this one forward. It is catchy, and it is sexy. Not going to make you wanna party the house down, but it is going to make you want to get one of your legs between that of your girl/boyfriend and boogie down (and with leg I mean leg people, come on now).
http://hypem.com/track/1159132/Discodeine+-+Singular

‘Tomboy’ by Panda Bear
I’m not a big fan of Animal Collective. I thought I should say that straight up because Panda Bear is of course a member of Animal Collective, and then you already might get an idea of “okay, I do like Animal Collective, so chances are I’m going to have the reverse opinion of this guy”. Which is going to be troublesome, because I’m actually undecided on this, so then you still don’t know anything. I like the atmosphere this evokes, especially music wise it really seems to have a plan and it really seems to know where it is going. The vocals are more in the middle of the mix then that they are in front of the music. They are basically a part of it. Which is a good thing because I can’t make out a thing he is saying anyway, so now it still has a function without enlightening me about a narrative. With that said (and I hate to use this because I have the feeling I use it so often and after you’ve seen Annie Hall and Woody Allen bashing the guy behind him for saying this about a Fellini pic you really can’t use it anymore like you used to), it doesn’t hit me on a gut level. And yes, linguistically speaking that might be a phrase devoid of all meaning, but since the Fifties everything has lost meaning anyway, so moving on.
http://hypem.com/track/1158424/Panda+Bear+-+Tomboy

‘Eyesore’ by Women
Six and a half minutes? Really? I thought that was just electronic music that went on so long, or are we back to prog rock again? Actually, we might, because as soon as the vocals step in I do feel like I’m in the Seventies again. Or at least, what I think the Seventies would’ve sounded like, because I’m a child of the Eighties (who all have severely outgrown the moniker “child” already). The vocals are a bit piercing, and I don’t find that particularly appealing, so for me that’s a turn off. The song doesn’t really draw me in as well, and with a running time like this it definitely should keep me focused on the music. And I’ve got no idea what they’re going on about! What is that with the tracks this week, audibility is a rare treat these days. Maybe I should just wait and listen to the Interpol album when it comes out, at least he knows how to enunciate. I even had less trouble deciphering that new The National track they debuted live last week with a mumbling Berninger.
http://hypem.com/track/1161308/Women+-+Eyesore

Geen opmerkingen: