donderdag 15 juli 2010

Tips voor De Affaire in Nijmegen

In a week time, over 40,000 people will be crazy enough to start the hellish mission of basically walking a marathon a day for four days in a row - and FYI, I am allowed to call it a hellish mission as I once attempted this quite successfully myself. I still believe there was only one reason I managed to pull through these Four Day Marches, and that would be this little festival called De Affaire that takes place in a wonderfully peaceful park right in the hart of Nijmegen, situated at just the right distance from the madness that is the city centre during these shenanigans. On the third day - the day you actually have to face some 'hills' - Late of the Pier were to play de Affaire at a quarter to midnight, and I wasn't to miss that performance, nor the exciting Tour de France stage that was also taking place that day. The only solution was to walk twice as fast than I usually did and skip all breaks (if you are interested, the finish line had just opened upon my arrival and I managed to watch both, and even go out dancing afterwards, only to retire when I thought it was better get at least some sleep ere I start walking again). I thus blame De Affaire's always excellent line-up for my succeeding in obtaining my one and only Royal medal.

But as far as stories go, a lot of people at this festival will have ones better than mine, some might even be music related as the line-up always seems to be amazing. A perfect balance of acts with an excellent live reputation and always some pleasant surprises, and virtually every musical niche seems to be represented. So what to look out for this year at the 24th edition of my now favourite festival?

Los Campesinos!
Saturday 21.15 - Saddlespan

I love that they're playing this festival, partly because I might have convinced them to do so. I think all I need to say here is that I've already seen them 7 times and am still looking forward to this performance. And it might be a very special one as they're performing at their label Wichita's birthday party just two days earlier and will be performing a lot of old stuff that they rarely play anymore. They might as well do 'The International Tweexcore Underground' in Nijmegen then - any special requests by Tuesday or Thursday evening please, then I'll work my magic on Gareth again.
Los Campesinos - This is how you spell "Hahaha, we destroyed the hopes and dreams of a generation of faux-romantics"

Oh No Ono
Saturday 19.30 - Saddlespan

Another case of I've-seen-them-live-and-I-want-more. They supported Wolf Parade on their London date, and boy were they better than the actual support act. Their album ended up in my mid-season favourite list, and that was mostly due to their live performances which are just exuberant. Finally a band that seem to enjoy themselves more than their audience does.
Oh No Ono - The Wave Ballet

HEALTH
Sunday 21.15 - Club Voerweg

Bring earplugs for this one. It's outside, yes, but still bring them. They were amazing on a small stage like Merleyn just last year, and they must have liked the place as they're back for more now. 'Die Slow' is still a personal favourite, though their entire second album is one of last year's better albums. If you don't like noise, you'd better skip this one. If you do, I'll see you there!
HEALTH - Die Slow

Toro Y Moi
Tuesday 21.00 - Ruïne
Noise haters might go to Toro Y Moi instead. My first tipped band I haven't actually seen live yet! It's an Affaire exclusive as he hasn't even performed in London yet! Well, he's actually doing his first London date the day before arriving at De Affaire, but still, that's pretty good programming. His album 'Causers of This' was one of favourites of this year, a perfect soundtrack for summer and another one riding the chillwave hype. Looking forward to this!
Toro Y Moi - Blessa

Errors
Tuesday 20.30 - Club Voerweg
The programming is almost perfect, this being it's only flaw as half of Error's performance clashes with that of Toro Y Moi. I still have to make out which one of them will get my eventual vote. With Errors you'll at least be sure of some deadly catchy and danceable tunes. I want to see people dancing here!
Errors - Antipode

Dum Dum Girls
Thursday 22.45 - Ruïne

Er, yeah, Dum Dum Girls, so far, I seem to have missed four of their London dates so I really want to see them at De Affaire. I'm even willing to sacrifice the opportunity of seeing both Cut Copy and The Golden Filter in Paradiso. They make catchy lo-fi pop songs, some even in German, that will be stuck in your head for days.
Dum Dum Girls - Jail La La

A Very Special Guest
Thursday 23.30 - Saddlespan

This year, they've added a bit of mystery to De Affaire, and I love it. Opposed to Glastonbury or Lowlands last year, they've actually managed to keep this secret act secret. Though it must be said that we didn't know about Them Crooked Vultures until a few days before the festival and I might have just missed out if this is just another public secret as I live in London now. The nominator appears to be singular, so I'm guessing a solo performer. As Doornroosje already managed to put Pavement on this year, I can't help but feeling very excited about this - and in need for clues that don't really tell you anything but do manage to make you even more excited.

Other honourable mentions:
The Antlers, The Morning Benders, Tokyo Police Club, The Hundred in the Hands, Post War Years, Memoryhouse, Pantha du Prince, Gold Panda, and a special recommendation by my Icelandic flatmate: FM Belfast from Reykjavik.

Timetables and more information can be found here

2 opmerkingen:

Linda zei

Can I just add to that by saying that I've just seen Los Campesinos! and that they've got a new drummer: Jason (Ilse! Facebook! Now!), that Gareth has lost some weight and got a fancy new hipster haircut (whoot!) and - more importantly - that they've never sounded better?

They've also played 'The International Tweecore Underground' and 'You Throw Parties, We Throw Knives' live FOR THE VERY LAST TIME!

Stef zei

Ah he jammer, maar zolang ze nog You! Me! Dancing! van die EP spelen vind ik het ook wel best. (a) Goed om te weten dat ze goed klinken, wordt feestje morgen. ^^