maandag 26 juli 2010

Nieuwe tracks van 15 t/m 21 juli

Our weekly look into the blogosphere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period.

Track of the week:
‘Where I’m Going’ by Cut Copy

Hell. Yeah. First time I saw these guys live was just after their second album in a club in Brooklyn (a gig put on tape by Pitchfork and a venue which I believe since then has shut down). These guys, they can make you dance. Had to miss them just a few days ago, which I’m still bummed out about, but it was too expensive to get there, and in my hometown Dum Dum Girls were playing. Can’t have it all I suppose. Hope they come back soon though, because this is stellar. Naw, strike that, this is just immensely fun! Handclaps, but more camp than their earlier work it seems to me, and this is just a party from the get go. I mean, can anyone not dance to this? Surely. This has dance floor written all over it. They go a bit dreamy in the middle, and then they go back to the dancing again. And those “yeah, yeah, yeah” bits are a sure invite for everyone to pump their fists in the air and sing along. Perhaps the lads have been a bit cheeky and took some elements which are shoe-ins for a certain reaction. But to then execute it so finely, only a few can do that.
http://hypem.com/track/1168739/Cut+Copy+-+Where+I+m+Going

‘OOOO’ by Fishing
And now here’s a track title which basically nullifies any chance on a proper conversation about the song. It’s sort of an avant-garde experimental Jamaican sound, and chopped up at that. For me it’s too off-putting to get into it, these strange sounds, so seemingly off-beat. Sure, that is the nature of experimental music I guess, and with the African sounding singing and the handclapping it really goes I-belong-in-a-museum. But if I go to a museum I’ll be heading for the Longo’s and the Dali’s, not to this. It does bring across the vibe that you would think it would aim for if you look at the band’s name, but it does take all the soothing qualities out of fishing (not that I fish, mind you, so I wouldn’t really know).
http://hypem.com/track/1162435/FISHING+-+OOOO


‘Jump Up’ by Major Lazer (Thom Yorke remix)
I don’t like rap generally. So that probably disqualifies me from saying anything decent about this track. But I guess everyone has genres they fancy and everyone has genres they, well, typically avoid. But since Thom Yorke did this remix I thought I would take a listen anyway. However, I can tell you, if you don’t like hip-hop, you’re not going to like this despite the Yorke influences. I guess that the noise on the background is Yorke’s doing, as well as the ethereal voices that suddenly come up. But as it is now it is sort of Fever Ray meets NY rap scene (though I wouldn’t know how that is sounding nowadays, but I would imagine it sounding like this), which isn’t my cup of tea to be honest. Because even if I do like this kind of background stuff (in which case, lose the children’s voices at the end), I would simply put on Fever Ray or something like that, as that would eliminate the thing I personally do not like. So not sure to whom this caters, I guess to people who like both genres, but they are so wide apart I’m wondering how many people will actually have this on repeat (but feel free to enlighten me on that in the comment section below).
http://hypem.com/track/1167418/Major+Lazer+-+Jump+Up+Thom+Yorke+Remix+


‘While We’re Young’ by Department of Eagles
Oh, this is perfectly listenable actually. The drums propel this forward, and the voice is very nice. Can’t really see many people take offense to this voice to be honest (whether you go mad for it is another matter, obviously). Sure, it does sound like your typical folk stuff on occasion, especially with the background vocals and the strings. Is that a trombone though like 2:30 in with the heavy, deep sound? I kind of dig that. Because of the fairly up-tempo pace it stays interesting for its entire running time, and I like the ending with them repeating the line “who are you trying to prove” (“it to” follows at the end, not that you’re thinking, gosh, is that grammatically correct, like I was doing when hearing it for the first time). It’s not groundbreaking, but it is enjoyable and easy on the ear and I don’t think anyone would mind if you put this on at work.
http://hypem.com/track/1166207/Department+of+Eagles+-+While+We+re+Young

‘Hang With Me’ by Robyn
I’m always up and down with Robyn, some stuff I thoroughly enjoy, some stuff just makes me yearn for Roisin Murphy’s newest. This I like though, nice pop song this is. Fairly straightforward, but Robyn has so much talent and charisma that she can put a song like this ahead of its competition, who often miss the oomph to really make it interesting. In that sense women like Robyn and the earlier mentioned Murphy, people should really put on a clinic centred around those two, because I find that a lot of women from the “new” generation don’t interest me nearly as much. I went to a festival recently where I saw a fair share of female performers, but somehow they seemed a bit colourless, a bit gray. Not a tag that fits Robyn, that’s for sure. And at least the gig tickets here are surprisingly affordable for her show, so for that money do check it out, if only to see her strutting her stuff.
http://hypem.com/track/1166973/Robyn+-+Hang+with+Me+radio+rip+

‘I Was Sad & You Were Lonely’ by Bodebrixen (Dreamtrak Diamond Sound)
This sounds cheery actually, although the kids voices are perhaps too much of a give away for that. But even sans those, this sounds quite happy. All this despite the title, obviously, because if you would go from there you would half expect some sort of depressing sounding track. But no, upbeat and dreamy, the instrumentals at least. The lyrics are about a relationship that has gone awry I believe, but at least now we can all dance to it. I especially like the instrumentals accompanying the kids choir, that is made to get some people moving. Can see this doing well in the open air, at night, still summer temperature, and then people just happily and innocently shuffling to this. Not sure about the original, but I guess a lot of the added instrumentals are courtesy of Dreamtrak (feel free to correct me if I’m wrongly assuming here), in which case, well done.
http://hypem.com/track/1157815/Bodebrixen+-+I+Was+Sad+You+Were+Lonely+DREAMTRAK+DIAMOND+SOUND+

Geen opmerkingen: