maandag 14 juni 2010

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - 'Georgia' by Cee-Lo

Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.

Track: ‘Georgia’ by Cee-Lo (listen here)
Average grade: 4.6


Ilse: Cee-Lo’s shouting makes me wince more than when I hear that vuvuzela generated noise (to stay in the World Cup mood), but musically it’s not bad at all, the sax (is it a sax?) and drums are cool and work quite well with Cee-Lo's non-shouting singing voice. Nevertheless, this whole soul/funk thing is not meant for me I guess, probably because I know too little about it. I’m wondering whether ‘understanding’ or knowing about soul/r&b/funk is just a matter of taste or if it’s more a matter of age (and therefore subject to development in musical interest). Anyway, let’s not divert into sub-questions and say;
6/10

Danielle: There is an undeniable sincerity in the way Cee-Lo sings about his home state, and that makes this song. The horns and the background singing are a bit much for me, and not surprising in a soul song like this. All in all, it's good for what it is.
6.5/10

Linda: Janelle Monáe is as far as it goes for me.
5.2/10

Anna: Cee-Lo has a grand voice; but not when he belts out (then again, belting out is always cringe-inducing to me). I appreciate the soulful verses much more than the chorus, which is grating on my ears a bit. On the plus side, his vibe is as sincere and passionate as they come; it's being given priority over music here, and rightfully so.
5/10

Craig: His voice is like a cheese grater on my brain.
1/10

Stef: I’m not opposed to soulful voices at all, but musically this is quite standard fare. Or, dare I say it, a bit, well, dull, actually.
4/10

Geen opmerkingen: