zondag 13 juni 2010

Nieuwe tracks van 04 t/m 10 jun

Our weekly look into the blogosphere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period.

Track of the week:
‘Suffocation’ by Crystal Castles (Memory Tapes remix)

I always feel slightly ashamed when I have to say that I don’t fancy Crystal Castles that much, because it kind of seems the thing to do. I do love Memory Tapes though, and I do love that band a whole bunch (me is the proud owner of a first edition vinyl of the album). So this could go either way. You would think. But I was lucky enough to have a little interview with the man behind Memory Tapes and so I know how he does his remixes. And the thing is, he doesn’t look at the original at all. He just looks at the components and creates a remix off of that. So in essence, it will definitely be more his aesthetic that will be shining through than that of Crystal Castles. Which, for me personally, is a good thing. So no surprise here, I do love this one. It has got a bit of that dreamy vibe that I love so much and which I think is just so great to listen to while walking around at night. If you want to bounce off of each other on the dance floor then this probably isn’t going to make you happy. But if you like the dreamy, fantastical vibe, then this might just be for you. It definitely is for me, in any case. Also, nifty drumming.
http://hypem.com/track/1134063/Crystal+Castles+-+Suffocation+Memory+Tapes+Remix+


‘Weaker Arm’ by Zebra and Snake (Emperatron remix)
Oh no, this goes way too fast and is way too hard for my personal taste, that is clear from the start. Add to that transformed vocals, your standard club tricks and echoes, and there you go. It is a bit like Vitalic, only a B version of it. Because where Vitalic is hypnotizing and engaging, this is not. And it is a good five minutes of it. Not my thing at all, but I guess that if you want some sort of good trippin’ then this might do the trick, but I wouldn’t fancy hearing this on my evening out.
http://hypem.com/track/1128875/Zebra+and+Snake+-+Weaker+Arm+Emperatron+Remix+

‘Princess’ by Primary 1 (Isa Machine reinvention)
You did read my interview with Joe Flory, aka Primary 1, didn’t you? If not be sure to head over to the interview section of this site. Always nice to get to know an up-and-coming artist a bit better, no? Because you probably wouldn’t from this remix, as Isa Machine definitely puts its own stamp on it. The pop vibe that was very much present in especially this song of Primary 1 has gone out of the window and Isa Machine has slowed it down considerably. So the only thing still there are basically Flory’s vocals. But since this wasn’t my favourite track of his anyway I don’t mind the reinvention that much. The vocals were one of the better points anyway, and at three minutes this is definitely a comfortable listen.
http://hypem.com/track/1128499/Primary+1+-+Princess+Isa+Machine+Re+invention+

‘Even if it Works Out’ by Cloud Nothing
Lo-fi ramshackle American indie with barely distinguishable vocals. The thing is, if you do not fancy a particular genre, and that genre becomes popular, you are very prone of getting a bit of an “oh no, this again?” vibe. Which I’m having when I listen to this track. It is something that the people following the Gorilla vs Bear blog will probably love. Since I’m not an avid fan of their choice of music, I’m not digging this as much. If you have been relishing this type of music and the hype that has been surrounding it for a good year now, then you might hail this as the next so and so. Me, I’ll probably be listening to something more up my alley.
http://pitchfork.com/forkcast/14436-even-if-it-worked-out/

‘Keep The Lights On’ by Wave Machines (Artwork remix)
Wave Machines is probably a bit of a blindspot for me. I’ve read some good things about them, and it seems that some people are really liking this band. But I unfortunately haven’t found the time to check it out. Despite me not knowing this band terribly well, I guess a lot of this remix is Artwork’s doing. I imagine, rightly or wrongly, that the deep vocals and the somewhat darker vibe is original Wave Machines, but the electronic and synthy additions are Artwork’s. Correct me if I’m wrong, naturally. If I’m right, and that is the case, I’m definitely be checking out Artwork’s stuff, because how this remix has turned out has got me pretty excited. I like the juxtaposition of the music and additions on one hand, and the deep vocals on the other.
http://hypem.com/track/1134379/Wave+Machines+-+Keep+The+Lights+On+Artwork+Remix+

‘Counterpoint’ by Delphic (Tim Goldsworthy edit)
This actually makes me think of – oh what is the name for it again? – one of those devices which flickers light insanely fast. One of those things you see in clubs sometimes, which goes on and off and on and off and on and off like it has gone berserk. This is sort of a happy, musical version of that device with those background bleeps. That device always annoys me to no end, and although this doesn’t make me want to punch someone, it does kind of irritate me. It is such a schizophrenic noise. The rest of the song is very poppy, a bit The Killers’ first album gone bad. Two weeks ago I praised a Goldsworthy edit, and I think this puts things in balance again.
http://hypem.com/track/1130862/Delphic+-+Counterpoint+Tim+Goldsworthy+edit+



Geen opmerkingen: