zaterdag 5 juni 2010

Nieuwe tracks van 27 mei t/m 03 jun

Our weekly look into the blogosphere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period.

Track of the week:
‘Love Get Out of My Way’ by Monarchy (Holy Ghost dub remix)
I can’t help but get that LCD Soundsystem line in my head from that ‘One Touch’ song: “This is getting sort of unreasonable”. Because that is the idea I get whenever I hear yet another ace tune from the Holy Ghost! crew. Sorry other musicians, I’ve found my home. So if anyone is going to slug it out with The National for my fav album of the year, this duo is it. And they are doing a remix of a Monarchy song to boot! And the Octans edit of that ‘Phoenix Alive’ tune is one of the best tracks I’ve heard so far this year. So there is absolutely no reason to think this would be anything less than friggin’ amazing. And it is. Insanely catchy, and I do believe that there is a cowbell solo somewhere in that song. Bit more for the disco people among us, but it is happy and danceable, qualities a lot of people might enjoy in a track.
http://hypem.com/track/1129220/Monarchy+-+Love+Get+Out+Of+My+Way+Holy+Ghost+Ft+Dixon+remix+


‘Deeper’ by Nacho Lovers (CFCF remix)
I loved CFCF for his disco-ish remixes, but this one definitely leaves the disco vibe behind in favour of a sound more reminiscent of his album. I wasn’t too fond of the album, but this I find pretty neat stuff. Pretty hypnotic, and I love the piano at the 4 ½ minute mark. Thing is, despite it being pretty hypnotic, if I am doing something else while I’m putting this on, my attention is likely to go to the something else instead of to this track. So yes, it is hypnotic, but you do have to keep your mind focussed on it if you want to reap the fruits of that. Which is kind of the opposite way around. Me, I like his “other” side of CFCF (the more disco one), though if you are into something more minimal for your commuting at night or whatever, then this probably serves that need pretty well.
http://hypem.com/track/1128158/

‘Fascinate Me’ by Florrie (Fred Falke edit)
I love Fred Falke because his remixes usually are terribly smooth and fluent. This, I’m not a fan of. The way this song presents Florrie is like yet another girl/woman who tries to do that synth/pop mix while maintaining some credibility with the non-mainstream music lovers. And I’m not a very big fan of that genre to be quite honest. Especially in the beginning, with that botched delivery which apparently is the thing to do in that field, I really have the urge to hit the stop button. The middle part is mostly very, very Eighties, which isn’t a bad thing per se, but I do think it needs a bit more to stand out from the crowd. And the crowd it is in I don’t particularly fancy, so for me this is not a Falke mix I will have in my rotation for long.
http://hypem.com/track/1126788/Florrie+-+Fascinate+Me+Fred+Falke+Edit+

‘Drive In’ by Thunderheist (Drop the Lime remix)
I didn’t know Thunderheist at all until last year, when I stumbled upon the band when they were playing a free festival nearby. Seeing the name I thought it was some metal thingy, and I remember saying to my friend “I’m prepared to hate this”. No such thing was necessary, because I didn’t find this outfit terrible at all. Of course it is electronical music and not metal, but probably you guessed as much since it is featured in this column (despite us covering a wide range here). It is a more club thingy this than what I normally fancy. But some bits are massively danceable, and I can see myself dancing to this in the summer night having a ball. Not sure if I would put it on at home, but I’ll definitely keep this in mind for DJ sets or mixes in case I need something bordering on the more club side of things.
http://hypem.com/track/1126638/Thunderheist+-+Drive+In+Drop+The+Lime+s+B+Live+Mix+


‘Flashover’ by Klaxons
So, yeah, that was weird, wasn’t it? Klaxons coming, being hyped up, going, making an album, ditching the album, and now they’re back again with this. So even if my anticipation ever had been high for their new tracks, it certainly would’ve cooled in the past… well… year or so. Not sure what they are trying to do here, as if they want to mix the hard with the electro-pop. And unless you are dressed in all kinds of strange costumes and have a frontlady called Lola Olafisoye you are definitely playing with fire attempting that. At least, in my book. If I may be quite frank, I’m not digging this at all. And there is still two minutes of it.
http://hypem.com/track/1129082/Klaxons+-+Flashover

‘Moon Theory’ by Miami Horror (Punks Jump Up remix)
Well, the name of Punks Jump Up immediately becomes pretty obvious with the guitars at the beginning. Not the thing I would’ve expected knowing the original. Then again, a remix should surprise, shouldn’t it? Because if it is the same as the original, well, that would be a bit redundant wouldn’t it? The guitars keep zinging through the song, though a bit more in the background. Have they succeeded in making it sound different from the original? Yes, I guess there is no doubt in that (and they haven’t completely destroyed it to the point of it being unrecognizable, in case you got that idea). So the question in that case remains, what do you fancy more? Personally, I think the original is so wicked this remix would’ve had a tough time matching it anyway. Though when the guitars are gone the remix in my opinion does pick up, which is about halfway. And I like what is happening around 3:50. And I fancy the ending as well. Not a bad attempt at all, even though I’ll probably stick to the original.
http://hypem.com/track/1126169/Miami+Horror+-+Moon+Theory+Punks+Jump+Up+Remix+

Geen opmerkingen: