maandag 10 mei 2010

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - 'Lights' van Interpol

Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.

Track: ‘Lights’ by Interpol (listen here)
Average grade: 5.4


Anna: This tune is the very definition of seductive gloom. It has a melancholy spine and notes that are a tantalising breath away from being epic. It could have been fucking (are we allowed to swear in the column?) amazing. But it takes it too long to get going, drags a tad in the middle, and doesn't know when to wrap it up.
6/10

Craig: Interpol seems to be trying out a different style//formula in this new release, but I'm not sold. Though it's not the most exciting or dynamic music, I prefer like the sleepy, dreamy sound of their first two albums. During the slow build I was comfortably prepared for their usual washed-out, flat sound to kick in, but then Banks' overproduced vocals startled me into revulsion. He sounds too much like an early Ozzy Osbourne in this song, which is so out of place for Interpol that I can't really get into this.
3/10

Ilse: I’ve never been a massive Interpol fan, but I don’t dislike them at all either. This song doesn’t particularly change anything about this, I don’t find this a very impressive song and it seems rather ’ignorable’: you put it on, and then forget you’re listening to it (similar to what I had with almost the whole new Foals album).
6.4 /10

Jon: After quite an interesting dramatical intro I grew bored quickly. Interpol still haven't held my interest long enough to buy their music.
4/10

Linda: As was promised, this song really takes me back to 'Turn On The Bright Lights'. Unfortunately, one needs more than just nostalgia to measure up to that album. Also, I am very much distracted by the suggestion of UK dates by the Hype Machine.
6.2/10

Stef: Oh that voice, I would recognize it everywhere! It has the aesthetics of the better songs of the last album, but it lacks real drama, and as it is now it is perhaps a tad dull. If that background squealing would’ve been a tad louder and more prominent cutting through the singing of Banks, that would’ve been wild! A nine for sure. Now, it lacks some oomph to be a five minute track.
6.5/10

Geen opmerkingen: