zaterdag 29 mei 2010

Nieuwe tracks van 20 t/m 26 mei

Our weekly look into the blogosphere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period.

Track of the week:
‘Fluctuation’ by Headman (Thee loving remix by Timothy Goldsworthy)

Oh I love how it starts. It just seamlessly moves forward in a delightfully light and catchy way. Around two minutes in Goldsworthy changes it up a bit, first with more synth, then by stripping quite a few things and he goes bongo-crazy (or well, the focus moves to the drums at least, but I liked saying “bongo-crazy”). Then he builds the other elements back in again. I also really like those sharp sounds that occasionally pop up after the four minute mark. And in the mean time the core of the song is still seamlessly shifting forward in a dancey way. It seems to have been a bit quiet in the Tim Goldsworthy camp the past few months (or at least I didn’t come across new tracks of him in that period), but with this remix he once again shows why everyone likes his music so.
http://www.lagasta.com/headman-x-tim-goldsworthy/


‘Leave Everywhere’ by Toro Y Moi
There is something about that voice that makes me like this otherwise pretty straight forward track. It’s got a bit of that lo-fi noise thingy going on, but not too much I think. And what I like is that the singer seems to be straining his voice to be heard, to be able to be audible over the instrumentals. Which gives it a nice drowning out effect, it adds a bit of anxiety for me to an otherwise sunny, summery sounding song. And hopefully it will be sunny and summery when I’ll be seeing him in the open air at a free local festival.
http://hypem.com/#/track/1121311/Toro+Y+Moi+-+Leave+Everywhere

‘We Don’t Want Your Body’ by Stars
Stars have yet to convince me personally, as I have never been the biggest fan of this Canadian band. I like that, when they kick into the chorus, they speed it up and give it a shamelessly poppy vibe with the female vocals on top of it. I thought that was nicely done. The rest of the song I don’t find anything particularly special, and the lyrics don’t really speak to me at all. Yet another narration on a woman falling from grace into a less than damely dame, but not a poetic narration at that, or one particularly sharp like Jarvis and his Pulp used to do. It doesn’t really grab me, but to be fair the band never has, so if you do like them then probably you are going to rate this one higher. Just one of those bands that doesn’t connect with me personally, and hopefully they do have a click with many other people.
http://pitchfork.com/news/38855-new-stars-we-dont-want-your-body/

‘Five Little Rooms’ by Menomena
I like the cinematic quality of the music. It is almost camp in its depiction of some sort of haunted horror house, but well, what do you know, the haunted horror house is the current world! Which apparently might be ours someday. I’m not too big a fan of random social commentary on things this large (I would say, either pick a small subject/tendency/trend and make it sharp or wait until something actually happens, though in case of the latter it’ll probably be bound to the times). The state of the world interests me, but it always seems like kicking in an open door, no? Though, as said, the music in itself neatly complements the atmosphere (or makes it perhaps), and that is quite nicely done.
http://hypem.com/#/track/1122715/Menomena+-+FIVE+LITTLE+ROOMS

‘ Foolin Around’ by Showgirls (Hypnolove remix)
Oh this might be too slick and pop for some, and it is borderline for me. But borderline is still within the limits though, so for me I’m liking it fair enough. It is not really blowing my mind, perhaps it’s too 80s vibe to achieve that. Bit too super sweet sounding for me. But if you like your share of pop and sugarcane every now and again this is worth a spin I think. Also interesting to see how other tracks from this young French band will hold up and whether it will all sound so throwback.
http://hypem.com/#/track/1118696/Showgirls+-+Foolin+Around+Hypnolove+Remix+

‘The End of the World’ by Street Hero (HNYSNDSYSTM remix)
Goodness me, I like this. Perhaps it is just the time of day and the end of the week thingy, but I was definitely in the mood for some space. Especially love how it starts, after that some experimental noises. Which I can understand (they are not out of place) but with my head throbbing (not because of the booze, fyi) I wouldn’t have mind if it would have continued without it. Love the drums in the background keeping the pace below the space sounds and vibe. That 2:20 sound is divine, so relaxing, so, well, space odyssey really. This is not the biggest party track out there mind you (I heard that HNYSNDSYSTM are known for their parties, but before anyone gets fooled by that tidbit, this isn’t solely for the dance floor, if at all). Clocking under six minutes it has the right length as well in my opinion. Isn’t it lovely when you can encounter precisely the thing you need at precisely the right moment?
http://hypem.com/#/track/1119245/Street+Hero+-+The+End+of+the+World+HNYSNDSYSTM+Remix+

Geen opmerkingen: