zaterdag 15 mei 2010

Nieuwe tracks van 06 t/m 12 mei

Our weekly look into the blogosphere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period.

Track of the Week:
‘Invisible Light by Scissor Sisters (Stuart Price 12-inch Remix)
Not that I’m a bif fan of the Scissor Sisters, mind you, but it is always interesting to see what Stuart Price is doing besides not touring with his band Zoot Woman. And in this case it is making a pop track a bit more dance floor ready. The constant drumming provides a nice bit to hang on to, and after five minutes he kicks it into a higher gear which might just delight the people on the dance floor at that moment. In my opinion it actually is a better track this way. It is catchy and danceable, and especially the kick could potentially elicit a response from a party crowd. I would love to see a Scissor Sisters collab with Price. Do a four song EP of seven minute dance-pop songs, that would be interesting in my opinion. Danceable drums, slight camp, and just fun: I reckon the single will shift a few more with this as its B-side.
http://hypem.com/#/track/1106064/Scissor+Sisters+-+Invisible+Light+Stuart+Price+12+Remix+


‘Ghosts’ by The Hundred in the Hands
A track of the Desert EP by the band The Hundred in the Hands, which first came to my attention because of a wicked Jacques Renault remix of their previous single ‘Dressed in Dresden’. This one is more haunting, and a bit more ethereal you could say. And I’m always a big fan of that, even though the guitar bit in the chorus is kind of the standard riff to go to when you want something to sound a bit, well, ghostly. It’s a bit down on the tempo but because of the beat you can still do a bit of beat searching. More of a watch-your-shoes-and-dance this one. I really like the track, even if it probably won’t win the award for excellence in originality and innovation. But surely, not everyone has to.
http://hypem.com/#/track/1111527/The+Hundred+In+The+Hands+-+Ghosts


‘Babelonia’ by School of Seven Bells
Ah, new track by the trio School of Seven Bells, whom I remember liking even though at the moment I wouldn’t be able to name a track of their previous record without looking it up. This track had to grow on me (and luckily with a five minute running time it has opportunity to do so), because at the start I was really at odds with the sound. The band makes a kind of doomy dream pop thingy (though the doomy bit is almost entirely turned into a euphoric feel at the end, not sure how that happened), and it starts with a vocal line that goes hiiii-hiii-hiii which quite annoyed me. And at the start I found the vocals not really meshing that well with the instrumentals for some reason, as if the two weren’t really made for each other. In the end I was digging it a bit better though. Which can signify two things: either the overall sound grew on me or the end actually is better. I’m hoping it is the former because then there is a better hope of me liking the album.
http://hypem.com/#/track/1112351/School+Of+Seven+Bells+-+Babelonia

‘Princess’ by Primary 1
Primary 1 is artist Joe Flory, who people may remember from his killer single ‘The Blues’ with Nina Persson or from his collaborations with Riton. And if not, hopefully you’ll remember him from the interview he did with us and which will most likely be on this site very soon (so watch out for that one peeps!). This is a new track of his, and I never thought I would ever say this, but blimey this feels short. Not that tracks barely clocking under three minutes are “too short”, because there are some brilliant pieces with what you could call a “pop running time” (2:30 was the ideal at one time I believe no?). Anyway, it might seem short because even though it is likeable, it never really, really takes off, so you are still waiting for that, and then it is over. So not as brilliant as ‘The Blues’, but the reason I’m constantly name dropping ‘The Blues’ is because ‘The Blues’ is one of my personal favs of the year so far. This one won’t be in the running for that, but it is a decent tune still.
http://hypem.com/#/track/1105761/Primary+1+-+Princess

‘ This Orient’ by Foals (Silver Columns remix)
When ‘This Orient’ starts, am I really the only one who always thinks, oh gosh, why did I put on Jonsi’s ‘Go Do’? The start of this remix by Silver Columns is rather muddled in my opinion. It seems as if the pitch is way up and they are playing it two tracked or something. After a while it starts being okay, just a bit faster and perhaps danceable, which the original really isn’t. However, if I would ever want to listen to a fast paced Foals song I’ll still rather give the debut a spin than this remix.
http://hypem.com/#/track/1110510/Foals+-+This+Orient+Silver+Columns+remix+

‘You Wanted a Hit’ by LCD Soundsystem (Keljet remix)
My town pretty much lacks a local scene, so when a band does appear I’m not one to shy away from doing a little plugging. Not sure about the pitch at first, for some reason the tempo seems slightly weird in combination with the new elements by Keljet, but the duo irons that out as the track goes on (or I simply get used to it, whatever is true is true). I like the bit around 1:30 where they put in a little something something of their own before returning to Murphy & Co, and it is basically after that mark that it really gets going. Plus I always love a bit of a solo in between. I’m also happy they weren’t officially commissioned by the DFA people because that would’ve meant they would’ve had to remix ‘Drunk Girls’, and even Holy Ghost! couldn’t pull that one off.
http://www.myspace.com/keljet


Geen opmerkingen: