maandag 16 augustus 2010

Nieuwe tracks van 05 t/m 11 aug

Our weekly look into the blogosphere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period.

Track of the week:
‘I Got a Feeling’ by Larse

Larse has got a feeling, and he is sharing it with everyone. New German artist, and with this track he really puts himself on the map. At least, for me, because I’m digging this massively. Pretty good house as far as I’m concerned, delightfully catchy, good rhythm (that’s what house is about, innit?) nice female vocals suitable for this sort of house track: so yeah, it ticks quite some boxes for me. Unfortunately I could only find a three minute preview to share, but the original has a running time which is double that, so if this seems to start abrupt and cuts off with a lousy fade-out, that’s probably the reason. Definitely try and hunt this one down. I love the Chicago house vibe that is running through this track’s veins.
http://hypem.com/track/1177110/Larse+-+I+Got+A+Feeling+Original+Mix+


‘Hamilton Road’ by Ducktails
For some reason I didn’t expect this. Silly me. I had connotations with this artist which were more of the noise rock persuasion, and this song is definitely more pop than I would’ve ever assumed prior to listening to this. Vocals are a bit dreamy, and they’re pretty low in the mix and covered with some grain. A song which you could be listening to while walking down the beach in the evening. More surfey than Toro Y Moi and stuff like that, and more pop as well. Just something which happily bobs along. In the right circumstances this might be something enhancing the atmosphere. But living in the city and with me being more likely listening to music on a busy commute… I’m not sure this would work wonders for that.
http://hypem.com/track/1180567/Ducktails+-+Hamilton+Road

‘Little Secrets’ by Passion Pit (Penguin Prison remix)
So if you think Passion Pit is not avant garde enough for you, you might want to shy away from this remix. At least, that is what I was thinking prior to listening to this remix, and sometimes what I think actually happens! Ha! Everything which was ever remotely masculine about Passion Pit (the singer once dislocated his shoulder when jumping off of the drums, you know) is stripped away. It is more toned back, more low key than the original. More smooth as well, but also a bit flat in my opinion. It just sounds so clean, and I love clean, but I wouldn’t have mind it if somewhere along the line someone would’ve kicked this thing in the nuts to get it at least somewhat in overdrive. But you know, that seems to be a constant concerning me and Penguin Prison’s tunes, so if you do like his regular output, this might be up your alley as well. I liked the bit prior to the four minute mark where it is just drums and handclaps. Not a fan of the running time though.
http://hypem.com/track/1174621/Passion+Pit+-+Little+Secrets+Penguin+Prison+Remix+

‘Sleepless’ by Lo-Fi-Fnk
While waiting for forever on the new outing of duo Lo-Fi-Fnk, who have been taking their time (and naturally they have every right to do so, sometimes music fans can be impatient SOBs, ey?), this year we have been able to listen to some previews of the new album. ‘Sleepless’ is the latest and it’s even going to be released as single next month via the lovely label Moshi Moshi. Now, I wouldn’t have expected them to open with those horns. Loving the keys just before it hits the minute mark, and it took me about half the song to get into it, but after that I was thoroughly liking it. It’s a bit more hazy than their debut I guess, and perhaps I’m not liking it as much as that other track that came out earlier this year, but nevertheless it is keeping me confident concerning the album. When the horns return, that is pretty sweet.
http://hypem.com/track/1183563/Lo+Fi+Fnk+-+Sleepless

‘Am I Just a Man’ by Steve Mason (Studio remix)
Now, I might’ve heard the original ages ago, but I really can’t remember it that much. I like the dreamy vocals, but I’m not sure about the rather strange music which to me sounds like being inspired by different continents. Different than Europe and the US in any case. It faintly reminds me of reggae stuff, then again some of the strings sound a bit oriental to me. Anyway, it doesn’t draw on stuff which I would pick as my poison, and to listen to a good six minutes of this is perhaps overdoing it a tad for me personally. If you like your influences overseas and if you like a different sound then this might do it for you.
http://hypem.com/track/1179252/Steve+Mason+-+Am+I+Just+A+Man+Studio+Remix+

‘Thank You for Your Love’ by Antony and the Johnsons
New track by Antony and the Johnsons which fronts an EP that just came out and which will also appear on the upcoming Swanlights, arriving in October. Now, nothing against his voice, because his voice is as great as ever. And the build-up of the music in combination with the vocals gives off an exuberant and enthusiastic vibe. The question is though, how often can you repeat the same sentence without it getting samey? Naturally, with such a voice you have a bit of leeway, but this is really pushing it. Some content would suit him well, I think. This might work in the right situation, if you are really grateful for someone’s help and if you are happy to be with someone. Outside of that it kind of loses its raison d’ĂȘtre in my opinion.
http://hypem.com/track/1182823/Antony+The+Johnsons+-+Thank+You+For+Your+Love

Geen opmerkingen: