zondag 22 augustus 2010

Nieuwe tracks van 12 t/m 18 aug

Our weekly look into the blogosphere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period.

Track of the week:
‘The Most Certain Sure’ by !!!

I’m up and down with !!!, some of their songs I really like, some of their songs I’m not particularly interested in. This one does start out in a lovely manner. Love the rhythm section, the drums are just wicked and I can’t keep myself from bobbing along. Just the whole thing seems very rhythmic, designed to make your body move a bit. The vocals aren’t belting it out but they kind of keep restrained, which suits the song pretty well. At one point they kind of go back to basics and just have the rhythm section with some instruments playing over it, after which they kick it back into gear again. This is really something you can go down to on the dance floor, though it does have a bit more of a raw edge than a lot of songs with this dance floor vibe. Hadn’t expected it to be this good to be honest, kudos to the band.
http://hypem.com/track/1182223/+Chk+Chk+Chk++-+The+Most+Certain+Sure


‘Don’t Turn the Lights On’ by Chromeo (Aeroplane remix)
I just love love love the original version of this, and there was a period I had it basically on repeat. This I find a little less appealing, but it is still well stellar and enjoyable. I do love the piano at the end, that is wicked, I can’t remember the original having that. I love the vocals, and I think Aeroplane mixes that with fitting music. It seems that in terms of vibe it is a bit lighter than the more darker Chromeo original, and the latter I like just a bit more, but this is good to have around indeed. And some of the little additions, like a sprinkling of horns here and there, are very expertly done.
http://hypem.com/search/dont%20turn%20the%20lights%20on%20aeroplane/1/

‘Try Me’ by Anoraak
So, the lyrics are kind of horrible. “Try me for one night, you buy me you buy me / Try me for one bite, you have me you have me”, nothing witty or original about that, though the latter sentence is a bit awkward and hamburger like. Luckily the track in itself isn’t all too bad. It is a nice synthy affair you can dance to, and with the running time clocking a mere three and a bit it is basically a nice little sugar rush. It is a nice track, and I do like the rhythm that you can hear in the background which is propelling the track forward. Thinking in terms of the album, string ten of such tracks together and it will be a fun one to put on when you have people over and want something nice and likeable to come out of the speakers, I can definitely see that.
http://hypem.com/track/1187214/anoraak+-+Try+me

‘Lover of Mine’ Beach House (Roman Ruins remix)
On a personal note, I’m wondering when I’ll ever get to see Beach House! The band has always eluded me, and whenever they’re playing here, I’m not in town or have other obligations. And now they’re doing a duo performance with Caribou, but for twenty bucks, which I find kind of steep to dish out. I’m going to have a think about that one. Because I have to admit, and this remix only gives yet another piece of evidence, that her voice is just beautiful. A bit dreamy, and for some reason it sounds very warm. Nice haunty synth line in this as well, I like the vocals echoing each other during what I assume to be the chorus, and the remix is not too clearly a remix as it is not ruining the cohesive feel of this song at all. Especially with slower songs I find that an important quality in a remix. Lovely to listen to.
http://hypem.com/track/1185702/Beach+House+-+Lover+Of+Mine+Roman+Ruins+Remix+

‘Heat’ by Ecce
I must admit that I don’t know this band at all, but sometimes it is fun to get in with a blank slate you know? Because that is perhaps the only way you can let something really surprise you. Love the rhythm section of the bass and the drums, they really give the song its forward motion. The voice has something melancholic and distant, but I like that here. Not sure about the frantic guitar that is added around the two minute mark, kind of found that rather out of place to be honest. To me it didn’t really seem coherent with the vibe the rest of the song has. I do like the handclapping near the end though.
http://hypem.com/track/1182410/Ecce+-+Heat

‘The Drug’ by Royksopp
I’m not as much of a fan as perhaps most people are of Royksopp, but I did like some of their stuff from their last album. They can make lovely, dancey music that is easily enjoyable. For their upcoming album, off of which this is a song, they will go instrumental. So it will be very interesting to see if they can pull that off and if as much fans will like this as they do their “normal” output. The song starts very hypnotic, and I really liked that. After one and a half minute it gets a more straightforward beat, and suddenly this cringe worthy sound is added in which is borderline out of tune, or at least my ear didn’t recognize it as an appealing sound. Maybe this is typically something that should be heard with your headphones on, but the way it plays down now I’m not much of a fan. It doesn’t really hypnotize me as an all instrumental track perhaps should do, but perhaps that is also because I do like myself a bit of vocals. I love instrumental driven songs that hypnotize and captivate, but I love them better when they have some sort of vocal lines in them. So if you don’t have that perhaps you will appreciate this more. Or less, because you’re on the ball with the best of the best in that genre, and I’m just no sure if this would rank among them.
http://hypem.com/track/1185337/Ryksopp+-+The+Drug

Geen opmerkingen: