maandag 4 oktober 2010

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - 'Northern Islands' by Blank Dogs

Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.

Track: ‘Northern Islands’ by Blank Dogs (listen here)
Average Grade: 6


Craig: Does this song sound incongruous to anyone else? It sounds like the singer's deep sullen voice is always striving to keep up with the fast-tempo electronic pop music going on under the vocals. This does, however, serve the longing//disconnected purpose that is present in the lyrics. So, for the feeling conveyed....

7/10

Linda: I'm not sure about this track. I really want to like it - mostly because they're playing right on my doorstep at the end of the month and who wouldn't like the next big thing on their doorstep (unless it is a newly discovered elephant species of course, which wouldn't make the non-preschool neighbours very happy and where should I leave my bike then?). It sounds as if they have gone a bit crazy with effects pedals which distract me from the actual song too much.
4.2/10

Ilse: This track sounds to me like there's a Californian surfer wandering through the dark alleyways of New York; it has these west coast lo-fi vibes, mixed with 80s new wave influences. It's noisy but I wouldn't define it as noise music, so perhaps it's not that easy to pigeonhole it. But I quite like Blank Dogs and his/their music makes me curious enough to want to see it live.
7.2/10

Anna: I do like me some Blank Dogs; being part of the new synth marinated post punk scene isn't the easiest thing in the world to do well, but they carry their mission out with grace and personal style. That being said, this isn't their best tune, but if you dig deeper you shall be rewarded.
6/10

Stef: One of those tracks that, if you’re making a clip for it, those seemingly sped up images of the Sixties are a good fit. You know, people having fun at the beach filmed with a home camera. Fair enough, not spectacular. Liking the guitar after two minutes though.
5.5/10

Geen opmerkingen: