maandag 4 oktober 2010

Nieuwe tracks van 23 t/m 29 sept

Our weekly look into the blogosphere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period.

Track of the week:
‘Menta Latte’ by Matias Aguayo (Prins Thomas remix)
There was no doubt in my mind that I was going to like this, because, you know, it’s Prins Thomas! And Matias Aguayo, who has been on a roll lately as well. Together they make this bass driven disco song which is delicious. I’m just a sucker for a good bass, so ten minutes of goodness, hey, count me in. And at certain points in the song I think he actually turns the bass up a notch in terms of speed to increase the intensity, so Prins Thomas is definitely making sure that the people on the dance floor can get down and dirty. Due to the vocals and the manner of drumming it gets a bit of a Caribbean vibe, at least, that’s what I’m connoting it with. Not sure if that’s correct or not. So if you love that kind of stuff you’re even more in for a treat. It’s all about the bass though, and I can’t wait to drop this in a mix somewhere to see how it meshes with the big boys.
http://hypem.com/#/track/1214216/Matias+Aguayo+-+Menta+Latte+Prins+Thomas+Diskomiks+Kompakt+


‘Fuguefat’ by The Octopus Project
Now, I don’t know anything about this band, but that’s half the fun of this column I hope, just listening to new tunes you don’t know but which will hopefully tick all your boxes. This is kind of an experimental piano thing with no vocals. Say what? Kind of reminds me of that Octopus in Who Framed Roger Rabbit? playing the piano. Or I think that was in that movie, now I’m not sure, some animated Octopus playing the piano in some cartoon anyway. True, that’s mostly because of the name more than anything else, but oh well. Love how it builds up in intensity and how it almost exclusively revolves around that piano, and that it uses the drums to, on the right moments, get some beef behind it. I think this is pretty neat actually, certainly something different from what I’ve been hearing for the past few months, and it is not that kind of instrumental experimental lo-noise thing I’m getting pretty sick of. Lovely, almost jazz influenced perhaps. Just give it a spin, I’m not doing this any justice anyway, as I wasn’t prepared for something like this at all.
http://hypem.com/track/1222720/The+Octopus+Project+-+Fuguefat

‘The Bike Song’ by Mark Ronson & The Business Intl. (Major Lazer remix)
There is something about Mark Ronson that just rubs me the wrong way, I have to be frank. So if you like him, then don’t put any stock in what I’m saying but do the opposite. And honey, this is just terrible. From the first in your face tones on, and then it goes a slow hip-hop route where they sing about this standard girls thing and about parties that are poppin’. Also, it sounds more like a mash-up than a genuine song as well. I had a hard time sitting this one out just the one time, and it’s barely three and a half minutes long! Nothing that will be on repeat at my house, that’s for sure.
http://hypem.com/track/1222432/Mark+Ronson+The+Business+Intl+-+The+Bike+Song+Major+Lazer+Remix+

‘Seed, Crop, Harvest’ by Prinzhorn Dance School
I believe this is a duo, and I believe they are signed or at one time were signed to DFA. But this is more in the Black Meteoric Star corner than in the LCD Soundsystem or Hercules and Love Affair one. Minimal and experimental, that’s what you’re getting with them. I like the post-punk kind of bass, especially because you already know it aren’t post-punk wannabes so it’s not just a mimicry of that Factory era. Though, with this song, arguably, they come pretty close. But hey, I remember walking out on them when I saw them at a festival once, so this for me is progress. Closing in on the three minutes they throw some guitar in there to spice it up a bit, and it works because otherwise it probably would’ve become a tad monotonous. Still a chance of that for the people who don’t like minimal, but I kind of like this post-punky affair.
http://hypem.com/#/track/1220946/Prinzhorn+Dance+School+-+Seed+Crop+Harvest

‘Highway to Saturn’ by D-Pulse
Another band I don’t know anything about. D-Pulse is entirely new to me, but I kind of like what they put out here. It starts like a club thing, but after that its tone shifts into something slightly lighter, something which I’m always in favour of. From a club track to something slightly more pop, but it keeps the pace and intensity of a track to dance to. That change up at the two and a half minute mark is pretty brilliant and keeps the track going, I definitely enjoyed that bit. It slows down just before the four minute mark, and then it gets cracking again half a minute later. Naturally, there’s a bit of a space vibe (check the name of the track yo), but it doesn’t go bonkers with that. And I do like myself a bit of space disco. Yeah, pretty much enjoying this. Not sure if it will hold up and stand out from the crowd after the initial newness has worn off, but that’s of later concern. Not everything has to be epic anyway, right?
http://hypem.com/#/track/1102672/D+Pulse+-+Highway+to+Saturn

‘In For the Kill’ by Miike Snow (La Roux cover)
‘In For the Kill’ probably owns its right to live to that remix by that chap I now forgot the name of (come on, it happens!), but that was pretty wicked when I first heard that one. Now Miike Snow has covered the song, and it isn’t getting better I think. I’m not much of a fan of La Roux’s voice, especially live I thought she was a bit dodgy, but this isn’t going anywhere. The thing is, it is rather a slow song, especially the way Miike Snow plays it. The main vocalist though, he doesn’t have the voice for it. He’s got a good voice for that synth-pop thing, but this needs more than that. I’m not asking for Celine Dion or anything, but I think he doesn’t have the voice to do a ballad thing like this, because it is sans emotion. He can’t give the words meaning, and then it falls flat in my opinion.
http://hypem.com/#/track/1220246/Miike+Snow+-+In+For+The+Kill+La+Roux+Cover+

Geen opmerkingen: