maandag 18 oktober 2010

Nieuwe tracks van 07 t/m 13 okt

Our weekly look into the blogosphere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period.

Track of the week:
‘Difficult’ by Uffie (Azari & III remix)
I’m not the biggest fan of Uffie, I have to admit, though I know that she has quite the following. I like the drum/bongo/whatever bit that provides the funky rhythm. I guess that’s Azari & III’s doing. The rest I don’t find quite a impressive, but the funk keeps me going and would get me on the dance floor. The more club oriented sounds that are added to the funk I could’ve done without. Sometimes though, if only one part works, then it is all right. I mean, you can’t dance to everything anyway, so just pick the funk out of it and don’t care about the rest. After four minutes the synth line is rather fetching I must say, and after three minutes of those drums the renewed energy from that synth will keep you busy for the rest of this song’s six minute running time.
http://hypem.com/track/1229394/Uffie+-+Difficult+Azari+III+Remix+


‘You Can Count on Me’ by Panda Bear
I wonder if this is a mixture between Church music and experimental avant garde or something. It has that distorted, noisy feel, but it also has this chant feel as well. Add to that the constant message of You can count on me, and it definitely has a Church feel to it. Or at least for me. Now if this was about the demise of the Church (church chanting which is disrupted by noise and distortion and consistent chatter), then I would actually quite like it. As a matter of fact, someone should make that. I don’t think that this is the idea of Panda Bear though, and this short two minute song doesn’t really move me. I mean, I just rambled on about an idea that might be interesting for a song instead of rambling on about the song itself, a sure sign this is not my cup of tea really.
http://hypem.com/track/1234985/Panda+Bear+-+You+Can+Count+On+Me

‘Kisses’ by Kisses (Joe Goddard remix)
Joe Goddard, in case you are not sure about this, is the guy from Hot Chip. The question is, is this going to be a Hot Chip dancey affair or more like his solo stint that came out this year (which I haven’t listened to yet, so I’m not sure how and in how far it differs from Hot Chip). I like the subdued beginning, just this catchy rhythm. After a minute it gets a bit of slow guitar in there which is nice. When the vocals come in it kind of loses its flow in my opinion. It just doesn’t seem to fit all that much. And honey, “A couple of girls kissing me”, it’s kind of a trite line, isn’t it? I think that, as a whole song, as a unit, I’m not sure about this. I just don’t think that it’s very good. I do like the music by Goddard, just not with this song. So a shame he shot this bullet away on this target, really. Something else probably would’ve suited the song better. As it is now, I’m not sure how much I would listen to this.
http://hypem.com/track/1231843/Kisses+-+Kisses+Joe+Goddard+Remix+

‘It Was Never Meant To Be This Way’ by CFCF (Games remix)
It seems a bit like it are the CFCF weeks, no? Every week it seems we’ve got either a song or a remix by him. I don’t mind though, the more the merrier. On the new EP by him he seems to focus more on the natural, at least that’s the feel I’m getting. Not as dance floor oriented as his remixes, not as nocturnal as his album. Games does find a way to bring this one back to the dance floor a bit with a catchy beat. Some of the bits where multiple things cross each others path at once I find a bit muddled, a bit too much noise at the same time for my taste. Plus I don’t like that botched up thingy where they seemingly just put in gaps in the certain audio tracks. I always have to think of that part in Amadeus where the King says to Amadeus that his piece has “too many notes”. In that case it’s kind of ludicrous, but I do believe that, sometimes, it’s just a bit true. At least for my ears. Ears can only hear so many notes in an evening, obviously.
http://hypem.com/track/1235827/CFCF+-+It+Was+Never+Meant+to+Be+This+Way+Games+Remix+

‘The Piper’s Song’ by Gypsy & the Cat (Aeroplane remix)
He, I had never heard of them, but I do like the name Gypsy & the Cat. Just the emphasis on the cat, that it’s a part of it, nice bit of word play there. This is a remix by Aeroplane, and it is suitably Italo for it. I do like the happy vibe it brings to the party, and it is a fair enough song. With that said, there’s nothing that really jumps out. It’s a nice listen, and I don’t think many will take offense at it, and it’s something you might play at the office that ticks your box a bit and won’t tick other people off. Am I going to run over to my friend’s house (or, like, e-mail him) to get him to listen to this? Nah, not really. Fair enough happy tune though.
http://hypem.com/track/1230200/Gypsy+The+Cat+-+The+Piper+s+Song+Aeroplane+Remix+

‘Odessa’ by Caribou (Junior Boys remix)
Hey, it’s been a while since I’ve heard anything of Junior Boys. I thought they were taking a break after that last album, but they are back with a remix for the track ‘Odessa’ by Caribou . ‘Odessa’ is, from what I can recall, one of the less experimental songs of the album, which means it was one of the ones I like best because I do like my songs a bit smooth. Junior Boys killed that part, and they made it more experimental. So if you thought, aww shucks, Caribou went too mainstream or they comprised their innovational desires on this song too much, this remix might actually be better for you. For me, it’s the opposite really. I think Junior Boys did a good job at what they wanted to do. So it kind of depends on if you share their vision or not whether you think this remix makes ‘Odessa’ a good/even better listen.
http://hypem.com/track/1232402/Caribou+-+Odessa+Junior+Boys+Remix+

Geen opmerkingen: