zondag 24 oktober 2010

Nieuwe tracks van 14 t/m 20 okt

Our weekly look into the blogosphere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period.

Track of the week: None, really. So, in random order.
‘Follow’ by Crystal Fighters (Diskjokke remix)
There was a time I was lyrical about Crystal Fighters, but after seeing them live a few years ago that has cooled down some. Haven’t listened to many of their songs in the mean time, and I guess a lot of the sound here is thanks to Diskjokke. Love the combination of the beat with the piano at the start. The piano gives it a kind of subtlety which I kind of find lacking a bit in later parts. It is a high energy club track I think, aided by the fury of how it is sung, which are words being said quite fast. In the end I think that the beat is just a bit too monotonous for this to last seven minutes, which it does. I would’ve liked some extra stuff as I’m not a big fan of the singing and the piano alone doesn’t do it for me.
http://hypem.com/track/1224838/Crystal+Fighters+-+Follow+Diskjokke+Remix+


‘Innh Dahh’ by Matthew Dear
I do love Matthew Dear’s album that came out this year and which is called Black City. Really looking forward to seeing him live as well. This, I guess, is the cooling down track. Something which one puts on after listening to the album and before going to bed. And to be honest, it’s a bit too easy going for my taste. With the vocals in the background it almost borders on the hymn like. I’m pretty sure the album is going to get quite the bit of playing time in my house. This track, however, well, I’m just glad it’s not smack down in the middle of that album as sixth song or something.
http://hypem.com/track/1239148/Matthew+Dear+-+Innh+Dahh+Digital+Bonus+

‘Whomp That Sucker’ by The Glimmers
I’m a sucker for that kind of thing they do with the vocals in the beginning. This house kind of vibe they bring to the table. Slightly campy in how it sounds, that’s nice. Overall though, I’m afraid it’s a bit too crude for my liking. In parts it sounds more like a mix than that it sounds like an actual song, which isn’t the idea I assume. Especially when approaching the halfway mark I feel they kind of go overboard, or at least, for me it does. Like they’re so desperate for people to dance they just go all out and give everything they’ve got, where perhaps a bit of spacing and a bit of calmness would’ve suited this track better. It’s a bit exhausting to listen to this for the entire seven minutes.
http://hypem.com/search/whomp%20that%20sucker/1/

‘Boadicea’ by Mason feat. Roisin Murphy
I must say, I do love Roisin’s voice. She’s just got a voice that just exhumes quality and such a disassociating emotion; I find that quite pleasant. Perhaps that is why I don’t like this track too much, because it seems as if she is actually battling the music. And someone with a voice like that, they shouldn’t make her fight the music like that. Like she is lower in the mix than the beat and no one told Murphy about that. The music just sounds overly aggressive compared to her voice. Too bad, because what a pretty voice she has, don’t you think? Hopefully she’ll get in the recording studio pretty soon again to shine on her own.
http://hypem.com/track/1236228/Mason+-+Boadicea+ft+Roisin+Murphy+

‘Kudos’ by Surf City
The thing is, for the life of me I can’t find anything truly excelling in this track. I mean, it is that thingy where they have the reverby guitars and the drums and the grainy vocals a bit lower in the mix making them hard to understand. When listening to this I can’t help but thinking, it has been done. Which is okay, but this just doesn’t seem to stand out in any way. As if there is a factory churning out these things instead of people putting their truly own stamp on it. Anyway, it just doesn’t do anything for me, and I wouldn’t be able to pick this song or this band out of a line-up if forced. It is a song in a certain sound, and if you like that sound you might like this song, but from where I’m sitting there is nothing particularly appealing to this which makes people want to listen to this specific track. Probably that’s just me, so if there are people out there who love this song and want to say why they prefer this song over other songs in this genre, give a shout out.
http://hypem.com/track/1239171/Surf+City+-+Kudos

‘Royal Blue’ by Cold War Kids
I did like that song ‘Hang Me Up To Dry’, but since then I haven’t really felt the urge to listen to them on repeat. This again, I mean, it is a fair song, but it just is kind of bland I think. It still has that bluesy indie-rock feel to it with the repetitive line “From now on…”, but it just lacks the punch that I think ‘Hang Me Up To Dry’ does have, but which I haven’t really seen in their other songs. They seem to keep using the same ingredients, but somehow the pepper is missing for that bit of bite which makes something stand out. This is good for a kind of general radio station kind of thing to which you listen to at work, and no one will object. In music I’m always looking for a bit more than that though.
http://hypem.com/track/1239397/Cold+War+Kids+-+Royal+Blue

2 opmerkingen:

Anoniem zei

"And someone with a voice like that, they shouldn’t make her fight the music like that."

maybe it's deliberate, because song is about warrior queen?

Stef zei

That, actually, would be pretty cool if that's the case! I'm all game for stuff like that. Thanks for that piece of insight!