maandag 11 oktober 2010

Nieuwe tracks van 30 sept t/m 06 okt

Our weekly look into the blogosphere where we talk about six tracks we found out about in the previous Wednesday-to-Wednesday seven-day period.

Track of the week:
‘Synchronize’ by Discodeine feat. Jarvis Cocker

I often like the output of Pilooski, one part of Discodeine, not to mention that remix he did for the Jarvis song ‘You’re In My Eyes’ off of the latter’s most recent album. So I guess that’s the link between Discodeine and Jarvis, and that the Britpop deity for that reason is singing on the song. Don’t be misled though, because even though Nineties Pulp wasn’t, in the strictest sense, a band to dance to, people familiar with their Separations album know that Jarvis always had some sort of link to House music, even if it was only to condemn the culture in the classic ‘E’s and Wizz’ on Different Class. Anyway, back to Discodeine, who have crafted a deliciously catchy song to dance to. I could’ve done without that sound effect when Jarvis sings that the wristwatch “falls to the ground” in which the vocals “fall” as well. In the beginning I thought that to be the most annoying thing ever, but now I’ve warmed up to it a bit. Just a lovely, lovely song, and I’m a sucker for Jarvis anyhow. But I do think the song itself is fun though. A sort of House with a softer sensibility.
http://hypem.com/track/1229062/Discodeine+-+Synchronize+Ft+Jarvis+Cocker


‘Before and After Light’ by CFCF
What can I say, the man intrigues me to no end. I love his remixes, I can just cuddle those endlessly. I now think the debut album is a proper night-time-is-the-right-time album that I love to put on when going to bed, and now he comes with this again! Totally different yet again, because this is neither disco nor nocturnal. It’s, well, more nature I suppose. Sort of a mix between Fever Ray and Jonsi sans vocals. Very atmospheric though. I’m not sure if I like him hopping around or whether I actually would love to see him actually flesh out and perfect a particular sound. I guess the times are different, I guess the modern era is defined by having so many options that you tend to not know which path to take, and then you decide to try them all a bit. And I’m not talking only about music here! This guy, though, he’s got the talent to match it, so even if he hasn’t been honing this kind of sound for years and years, it still sounds terribly intriguing to at least my ears.
http://hypem.com/track/1228621/CFCF+-+Before+and+After+Light

‘I Look To You’ by Miami Horror (Memory Tapes Version)
I just absolutely love Memory Tapes and the man behind it. I like it when the outsider wins, and especially if he wins with reason, because that album was one of the best things that came out last year. First part of this remix had me a bit shocked though, because the beat was rather kind of hard. After that he kind of lets it go, but still I find that this version is less dreamy and more – I don’t know – less sensible, I suppose. Some of the parts are absolutely fantastic, and in other parts I’m just glad the album didn’t really sound that way. I really thought he was coming with a new album this year though, I thought I remember him saying that, so curious to see if this is a new direction or whether he just thought it fitted this particular song and that his own new output is a tad different. In the mean time I don’t think this is the best thing he’s ever done, but even the Marx Brothers have had a few clunkers in their days, no?
http://hypem.com/track/1226313/Miami+Horror+-+I+Look+To+You+Memory+Tapes+Version+

‘Any Which Way’ by Scissor Sisters (Tensnake remix)
Now here’s something I didn’t think would be on the slate any time soon. Tensnake doing a Scissor Sisters remix, curious to see how that turns out. Because that should be, if done in such a way I would like it, a mixture of glam and house. Not sure how much of the glam Tensnake kept in there except for the occasional high pitched vocals though, but the (piano) house is represented for sure. Just after the halfway mark the first actual words of Jake Shears can be heard as the music is toned down a tad, but like every good club track soon it is turned up to make everyone dance even harder. It’s a nice enough tune, but it’s more Tensnake than it is Scissor Sisters, and what I was actually kind of hoping to see is how a marriage between the two would sound. However, the glam has been annihilated, and now it’s just a Tensnake song really. Nothing to sneeze at, naturally, it’s a good band. However, I don’t think it’s anything out of the ordinary, and if you have made the decision to remix a band like this, you might as well do something extravagant with it.
http://hypem.com/track/1223601/Scissor+Sisters+-+Any+Which+Way+Tensnake+Remix+

‘Heart is Strange’ by School of Seven Bells (Active Child remix)
Oh, this is beautiful, I have to admit. Beautifully dreamy. I like that the drums are slightly hypnotic, and the other sounds just seem to float over a little lake like fluorescent pixies. Oh how a young Keats is hiding in me. No, but seriously, it’s just a lovely, dreamy song. I’ve heard the LP by School of Seven Bells, but I think I would’ve remembered it if something like this would’ve been on it. I think Active Child really made something special, something beautiful out of this. The thing you want to soundtrack that Woody Allenesque stroll around NY at night with. Granted, I could’ve lived without the second part, which sounds more like the androids having landed during that stroll, but even that is atmospheric enough that I give it a pass.
http://hypem.com/track/1228482/School+Of+Seven+Bells+-+Heart+Is+Strange+Active+Child+Remix+

‘La Musique’ by Yelle (Lorenz Rhode remix)
Yeah, this pretty much ticks all the boxes of my annoyance list. Well, not really, it’s not the worst thing ever or anything. However, the music is kind of brusque, and it has that kind of non-singing thing like M.I.A. or something that I’m always firmly against. Plus, I do think it has a kind of mechanical quality in it, so I think they did a bit of editing on the voice. Not always a minus, this time it is. Just not my thing, and also, I just can’t imagine me dancing to this. A scene of which I’m no part of and don’t want to be, really.
http://hypem.com/track/1229382/Yelle+-+La+Musique+Lorenz+Rhode+Remix+


Geen opmerkingen: