zondag 7 maart 2010

Crazy Zany Radio Sunday - 'The Blues' by Primary 1 feat. Nina Persson

Every week our contributors will voice their opinion concerning one song, it’s a simple as that! The more the merrier, so people are always welcome to join in, just leave a note, eh.

Track: ‘The Blues’ by Primary 1 feat. Nina Persson (listen here)
Average grade: 5.6


Craig: I like this song, but it's not particularly original. Total 80s-Bowie sound, and I'm okay with that--it's just nothing very new. I don't think Nina Persson's pretty voice was utilized as much as it should have been, either.

6.66/10

Danielle: Listening to this track is just like meeting a hot guy (or girl) at a bar. You make eye contact across the room, he walks over to you, and then he speaks. Unfortunately he is so dumb that you immediately regret all that cross-bar flirting. Just like that guy, this song should never have opened it's mouth. The intro was promising but the vocals are just too terrible to bear.
3/10

Anna: Interesting tune, this one. There is a melancholy flowing throughout, which, combined with the broken down music box melody and the retro essence, makes for a perfect grey day soundtrack. The only thing that is bringing this down, are the lyrics and the vocals, which don't really add anything to the whole. It would have been a shiny gem if it was an instrumental track.
Grade with vocals: 5.5
Grade without vocals: 7.5


Ilse: I’ve listened to this song 10 times now and I’m still not completely sure whether I really like it or not… Maybe images popping up of one of my Swedish friends, who is incredibly daft, are distracting me, as he shares the last name of Nina Persson. The ‘beepy’ music reminds me a tiny bit of Röyksopp’s ‘Happy Up Here’ and again; not sure if this a good thing or a bad thing. One thing I’m sure about though is that the song should’ve finished after they stop singing, instead of starting the beepy music all over again, it’s rather unnecessary.
6.8/10

Linda: Primary 1 can go back to square one. I've listened to it three times now, and I still couldn't possibly tell you anything about this song as it just doesn't seem to registrar with me. I'll just go and listen to 'My favourite game' now as that has got stuck in my head at the mention of Nina Persson.
3/10

Jon: The song begins pretty swimmingly with a sturdy driving bass and some eighties throwback synth, then just when I begin to beg for Ms Persson's dulcet tones some guy steps in to spoil the mix. To be honest I switched off at this point, I wanted Nina Persson singing the blues, I don't care who's band it is. By the time the female vocal arrives it's too late.
3/10

Stef: Personally I think this is one of the best songs of the year so far. Love the melancholy, love the man-woman vocals together, and the instrumentation is just a great mixture of atmosphere and catchiness. The repeat function on my computer suddenly had his work cut out for him.
9.5/10

Geen opmerkingen: